Betta has been moved

kmarie

Reaction score
I finally transferred my betta to a 5.5-gallon tank with heater and filter. He seems okay. Swims around a lot but stays close to the top. Doesn't swim in the middle or bottom of the tank. Is this normal? He eagerly comes to the front of the tank hoping to get fed. Also, he swims by the filter a lot and seems to enjoy putting his face near the water coming out. Sometimes it pushes him down but he keeps going back to it and chases the bubbles it creates. The filter is set to the lowest level to reduce turbulence. Is it possible he's enjoying that or is he really suffering in this tank?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Being a labyrinth fish that breathes air, its perfectly normal for him to spend time around the top of the tank. And my younger betta loved to swim in the filter outpour stream.

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
kmarie said:
I finally transferred my betta to a 5.5-gallon tank with heater and filter. He seems okay. Swims around a lot but stays close to the top. Doesn't swim in the middle or bottom of the tank. Is this normal? He eagerly comes to the front of the tank hoping to get fed. Also, he swims by the filter a lot and seems to enjoy putting his face near the water coming out. Sometimes it pushes him down but he keeps going back to it and chases the bubbles it creates. The filter is set to the lowest level to reduce turbulence. Is it possible he's enjoying that or is he really suffering in this tank?
He should be ok. They are use to being in small places, so he hasn't explored the tank yet. So when he does, he'll start being all over the tank.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kmarie said:
He hasn't found out yet that the room is all his. He will learn soon enough. If he enjoys the water do not worry some bettas love it and some avoid it like the plague. He is obviously one of the former. He wouldn't keep going back if he didn't like it. Bettas are top dwellers ordinarily and it is a good thing for him to hang around the top of the tank. We would worry if he were hanging around the bottom. He has to have access to a clean surface all the time and it needs to move a little to keep dust and film from building up on it. They have to breathe through an organ on the top of their heads called the Labyrinth organ. It works to let them breathe air like we do, and if they are prevented from doing this by the top being either dirty or cluttered with plants or floating debris, they can drown. When you see your little guy go to the top and "butt" the top of his head against the surface of the water, he is "breathing". A lot of owners provide a tall plant with broad leaves for them to sleep in so the tired little punkin's do not have to swim all the way to the surface when they are so sleepy at night. Just a little consideration for a tired little friend. It can be a silk or very soft plastic (although you must be careful with plastic as they can rip fins) plant but they do love real plants!

Rose

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thats why its good to use a net and just scrape it along the top or the water to get the leftover flakes and debris that doesn't sink. I do it maybe 2 a month.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom