Betta Has A Mass On His One Side

Animal Lover101

Reaction score
0922858F-907D-4038-ACC7-37670C75DC5B.jpeg
E9D65F99-6069-4BD9-9BFF-300580E1107B.jpeg
So, I am pretty new to the fish world. Opi is my second betta and I have had him for about 2 years now. He’s in a 5 gallon tank with two nitrite snails. His water levels are all normal to my knowledge. And overal he has been doing really well and then I noticed a pimple like bump forming just above his side fin and his side was bulging a little. I read some stuff about constipation, dropsy, and potential bacterial problems. I have been doing frequent water changes, and adding stuff for bacterial infection, and even tried epysom salt baths. Nothing seems be to working. I left for college, and my mother tended to him and in about 2 months the mass has doubled and so has his side bludge. Hes not very active like he use to be, and has stopped making bubble nests, but he swims fine, and acts like he’s starved by his next meal time. Is it cancer potentially? Any ideas?

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Animal Lover101 said:
View attachment 437464 View attachment 437465 So, I am pretty new to the fish world. Opi is my second betta and I have had him for about 2 years now. He’s in a 5 gallon tank with two nitrite snails. His water levels are all normal to my knowledge. And overal he has been doing really well and then I noticed a pimple like bump forming just above his side fin and his side was bulging a little. I read some stuff about constipation, dropsy, and potential bacterial problems. I have been doing frequent water changes, and adding stuff for bacterial infection, and even tried epysom salt baths. Nothing seems be to working. I left for college, and my mother tended to him and in about 2 months the mass has doubled and so has his side bludge. Hes not very active like he use to be, and has stopped making bubble nests, but he swims fine, and acts like he’s starved by his next meal time. Is it cancer potentially? Any ideas?
Hmm, my first thought was either an abscess or tumor. But since you said it’s doubled, it makes me think more that it’s a tumor. If it is a tumor, there really isn’t much you can do for it. Bettas are known to develop tumors, too. If the mass is hard, that’s most likely what it is. If it were dropsy, both sides of the fish would be affected and the scales would be raised. And as far as the bubble nests go, my betta had the same issue. He would build them every week, then stopped, and now he’s back at it again. Some Bettas just grow out of it or can go through phases of building them. As long as your little betta is swimming normally and eating regularly, with no other symptoms other than that mass. Just keep him as comfortable as possible with warm and very clean water. Keep an eye on him for any changes. Wish I could be of more help!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nightshadethebetta said:
Hmm, my first thought was either an abscess or tumor. But since you said it’s doubled, it makes me think more that it’s a tumor. If it is a tumor, there really isn’t much you can do for it. Bettas are known to develop tumors, too. If the mass is hard, that’s most likely what it is. If it were dropsy, both sides of the fish would be affected and the scales would be raised. And as far as the bubble nests go, my betta had the same issue. He would build them every week, then stopped, and now he’s back at it again. Some Bettas just grow out of it or can go through phases of building them. As long as your little betta is swimming normally and eating regularly, with no other symptoms other than that mass. Just keep him as comfortable as possible with warm and very clean water. Keep an eye on him for any changes. Wish I could be of more help!
Thank you for your eyes and insight. You were very helpful!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom