Betta has a lump on his head

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by chevyguy8893, Dec 1, 2012.

1. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I noticed that there is a lump on my older crowntail betta's head yesterday. I decided to change some of the water (25%) in my 10 gallon, and will probably do another partial water change tomorrow to provide more fresh water. Normally I only change out 25% a week. The was not any ammonia or nitrites present, and 10 ppm nitrates before the water change. During the week he gets fed every other day, 2-3 pellets of NLS thera-a and a blanched pea between two bettas once over the weekend. There is two filters and live plants. The other betta does not show any problems, and I still don't have a hospital tank which is my own fault. I think that covers that aspect.

So, I tried to get a good picture of the lump, but I can't seem to get one to show it, so I will describe it the best I can. The lump is on the top right side of his head above the gill and is, at most, 1/2 a centimeter is diameter. The scales appear to not have any damage, but are protruding similar to pineconing. The piceconing is not present anywhere else on the head or body. There is not lack of color or signs of stress at all. Swimming, energy, and other body features are all normal. I did feed him yesterday, and there does not seem to be any lack of appetite or signs of constipation.

Seeing as the lump appeared rather quickly (I didn't see anything on him Thursday afternoon), I am thinking it may be fluid filled, but the size has not increased. I don't know if this is the cause of physical damage, a tumor, or a bacterial infection. Knowing the background some of these fish go through I wouldn't be surprised that this is some sort of genetic predisposition. If it comes down to it, and things get a lot worse I will see if the school or vet will allow me to use some MS-222 to put the fish to sleep. In the meantime I would like to try to turn this around. On hand I have API general cure, aquarium salt (not used on a regular basis in the tanks), and methylene blue (I would need to get a quarantine tank).

Hopefully the description is good enough to help identify the problem, but if more info is needed I can provide it. I just don't know if there is actually anything I can do without positively identifying this. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

Sorry to hear your betta isn't doing so great. I agree, it looks like a fluid filled lump. Could be some kind of cyst. Daily waterchanges like you are doing and having a good dose of prime is all I can really suggest. Watch the fish closely and make sure the lump doesn't burst. That could mean columnaris. I hope it goes away on its own and doesn't end up being something awful!

3. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks for the reply! As of today, the size hasn't become bigger or smaller, and nothing has changed in his behavior. I will keep an eye on it and keep up with the water changes. Yeah, hopefully it will turn around and not get worse. It is a bit disheartening to see something like this when I do my best to keep everything optimal the best I can. I guess it is all part of fish keeping though, and is going to happen at one point or another.

4. RogueAgent94

Sometimes lumps like that can be from genetic issues due to inbreeding. If he is a cup betta that could be one of the causes. But I don't think they appear overnight. Then again, I've never had a cup betta so I have zero experience in that category.

5. OP
    OP
    c

Yeah, he is a cup betta from petco. I kinda expected that there is a good possibility of inbreeding there since, from a money making standpoint, it would be much easier and cheaper to do even though it isn't right. The lump may have been too small for me to notice before, so it is hard to say. The only way to identify it would be to take a sample from the area, but that would cause a lot of stress and wouldn't be cheap.

6. RogueAgent94

Yeah, no lol. Don't try to take a sample. You might kill the fish or hurt yourself in the process. Plus stuff like that is freakin' expensive!

7. OP
    OP
    c

Haha, trust me, there is absolutely no way I would try that myself. Just saying it would be a lot easier to identify that way:).

8. OP
    OP
    c

So, it looks like the lump has gone down completely over the past few days slowly. A couple scales were lost, but it doesn't appear to be from a result of bursting. There is no signs of infection or any change in the fish's behavior, so I am just going to do water changes every other day till the spot is completely healed. Hopefully this is the end of whatever happened.

9. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Glad to hear its improving! Good job staying on the pwcs, I'm sure that helped the situation. Another one we probably won't ever know what is was or where it came from huh?

10. RogueAgent94

Yay!! Glad the lump went down. It would have been very obvious if it had burst.

11. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks. Yeah, but as long as the problem doesn't come up again I will be content with not knowing anything about it.

I am happy this has turned out for the best so far and not columnaris. Thanks for the help :).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice