Betta Has A Lot Of Fin Loss Over Months Of Proper Care??

1. Kinleigh

Kinleigh New Member Member

I’m extremely frustrated because I posted an entire thread on another forum and when I went to reply to someone trying to help me, an admin turned off the ability to answer on the thread and said I should attach it to a completely different question I had posted that wasn’t about the fish I’m speaking of now. So I really hope someone here can help me. I’m at a loss

My betta was bought about 6 months ago, he looked fantastic and shortly after I got him, he got some sort of internal parasite while I was also putting him through the fish in cycle (didn’t know any better, do now) his parasite caused his fins to be clamped, he never flared and they weren’t flowy or “beautiful” anymore.
    I knew it was the sickness and stress, I provided every day/every other day water changes especially while fish in cycling and even for an extra month after the tank cycled. His fins failed to get back to how they were. For a while I’ve always assumed it’s nothing to worry about and that his fins just couldn’t grow back after that experience, but I’m now getting really alarmed as I saw a picture of what he looked like before (before & after photos inserted below) and he has major fin loss. I also see that another betta I have has a similar problem, but both 5 gallon tanks, no tank mates, are cycled 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate, 7.8 pH. Going to order GH and KH kits soon, but I don’t have them right now.
    I’m so curious and worried as to why my fish looked better going through a fish in cycle than they do now. I provide the very best care I can. And weekly 30% water changes with prime. No heaters are in any of my tanks because my room has one of the only working heat vents and my room stays every bit of high 70’s to low 80’s especially in summer.

It’s gotta be fin rot, but how can I treat this easily and will it even help them? I have aquarium salt and I’m scared to use it. And I don’t have a QT tank small enough, only containers.

Attached Files:

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

His fins don't look bad to me. They don't look clamped or like they have fin rot. Now that his fins are larger and weigh more, it looks like they just don't spread out as easily.

You can go back to the daily water changes of 25-50% if you're concerned, but I wouldn't use salt or meds.

3. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

I think you looked at the photos reverse (sorry they uploaded that way) The top/first photo is him now, the second is him shortly after I got him, with the pretty long fins. Does that change your judgement?

It’s also happening with my crowntail, bought both at the same time. His crowntail fins have all dissapeared on his back fin, making it look like just a flat fin with no stringy crowntail fins. It seems like their fin progess has reversed with proper care and time :(

4. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

Hi there! I'm not sure if it's just the lighting from the picture or not, but it looks like there is some clear fin growth on him bottom fin, which is a good sign! If it's just the picture and you think it's fin rot, I've always had good success with aquarium salt baths, daily water changes, and patience. Double check his fins first to make sure it's fin rot though, because salt baths can stress some bettas out. Check for discolored fin tips by putting him in a clear cup like they sell them in the stores so you can give it a good close up look.

5. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

I’m pretty postitive both of my bettas have fin rot now. I’ve followed a sites instructions and I’m doing a QT tank with properly dosed aquarium salt. My blue betta has it pretty bad and I think it’s progressed to body rot. I don’t understand how this happened :( Especially so quick. I’m posting photos of him below. Out of my four bettas it’s just these two that have the fin loss issues.

Is my procedure okay? 100% water changes in the QT tanks and redosing 1tsp of salt per gallon. The QT tanks are just plastic bowls, one is .5 gallons and the other 1 gallon. I was going to repeat this daily for 7-10 days and then put them back in their 5 gallon tanks. I’m also purchasing melafix and I was just gonna apply to the affected areas. I’m so worried I’m gonna lose them, especially the blue one because of how fast it progressed he’s about to lose his top fins and its turning his skin a different color.

Here’s another photo just now of my pink veiltale. If you don’t think it’s rot I can put him back in his 5 gallon, I don’t wanna stress him if not necessary but his fins just look so receeded compared to the past few months.

Attached Files:

6. sleow

What a bummer. If the pictures of your crown tail are from today, I don’t think he’s too far gone! The first betta I had got terrible fin rot but I didn't know anything about it and didn't notice it until she practically had no fins left at all. I used the same aquarium salt regimen you're using and noticed improvement after about one week. I gave her a short rest after that and did it again about a week later because she was just that bad. Her fins still aren't quite as majestic as when I got her, but hey, she has fins that flare and is alive! That's a win in my book.

I hope your guy responds as well as mine did. Some people say it's too stressful for the fish, so just keep an eye on him and give him a break if he seems too stressed. I found it helps to give them some decor or plants in the QT tank. If you put live plants in, be prepared to lose them, as many don't like salt water.

As for your other guy, I can't really tell how his fins are from the top, but even a short salt bath can help with fin wounds. I have a sorority and try to give my girls a bath after any scuffles that tear their fins up just to help them out a bit.

Good luck and please keep me updated!

7. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

Sorry I couldn’t get any better photos in the QT tank. I’m going to treat him along with the crowntail anyway, just incase. I don’t see stress stripes but they did seem rather lethargic at one specific point in the day when I looked at them, they both were staying still in one spot and didn’t move at all, I had to move the water a little bit to get a response, almost looked like they were dead but I might just be paranoid. They’ve done fine since and I changed the water 100% not too long ago, they seem okay in it, just a bit lethargic slow swimming. Still eating. Would the lethargicness be a bad sign and mean I should stick them back in their normal tanks and wait for another QT regimin?

(Also update, the crowntails got like one or two pieces of fin left on his top, the piece that was really hanging on by the white fuzz has come off)

I also have caves in each QT, they both use them so I could at least provide them some security. I feel so bad I’m doing this to them but hopefully it’s for the better.

Also, even if their fins don’t heal completely but heal somewhat, are their fins supposed to continue to heal after the regimin is over and they’re back in the normal tanks or do I need to do a follow up salt regimin later on like you did to finish healing? Or extra daily water changes or anything

Sorry for so many questions, I’m just really paranoid and nervous still.

8. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I know nothing about Beta’s but Didn’t I read that you can’t use Melafix on them because they are a labrynth fish?

9. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

It’s not a good idea to use melafix on bettas.
    Super clean warm 80 degrees waters definitely the best medicine. The salt will help especially in the early stages of fin rot. Luckily where I think you’re at. With my bettas, I dosed just shy of one teaspoon/gallon and watched carefully. Just please make sure you dissolve the salt completely before adding to the container you have them in. I much prefer the bath for bettas. Two to three times a day. About twenty minutes. But whichever method you choose, watch closely and don’t overdo.
    I’m a firm believer in clean temperature appropriate water. I’m also a firm believer in the healing powers of salt. That being said, using salt on bettas needs to be used with caution. Watch carefully. Keep us posted please?

Yes the oil can make it difficult and sometimes impossible to use their labyrinth organ to breathe. Good call Goldiemom!

Hello. The Pics were uploaded in the wrong order. Could you compare them again with that in mind? I do agree daily water changes would be very therapeutic. Just can’t beat clean water. Thank you!

10. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

So you think the baths or dips were equally or more effective than a full week long QT? I haven’t seen any info on this really and I wanna do what will stress and harm my fish less, but still help it the most. I have been making absolutely sure I dose and dissolve the salt very well before pouring the cup back in the water. I did my own research just now on the melafix and I’m not going to use it, lots of conflicting stuff, I’m sure if it turns into worst case scenario there’s other options.

I’m so grateful to how apt everyone here is to help me, this is by far the best instruction and compassion I’ve gotten from a forum :) I will continue to post updates on my guys here, hopefully good ones!

11. Gypsy13

I much prefer baths for bettas. Most are somewhat sensitive to salt some extremely. That’s what I did when I saved bettas from stores. Salt baths and back in the warm super clean tank water. But like I said pick the best method for you and your fish. Cause we aren’t there and can’t see what’s happening. And yes. Please bring us good news. :)

12. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

The redish betta seems to be doing better than the blue one, but I’m not a huge believer in using salt. Salt strips fish of their slime coat and makes them more prone to injuries. And since betta fins are so fragile, especially when already injured, it makes it much easier for tears to occur (IMO). It works well for less severe cases, but your blue betta seems to need some extra help (I don’t believe he’s too far gone though, not in the least).

I would suggest getting ahold of a medication as opposed to aquarium salt. Something like Maracyn ii, API Fungus cure, or API Furan-2.

13. sleow

My betta was definitely less active while in QT. I think probably due to the stress of a new tank, less space to swim, being sick, etc. As long as they move with encouragement, I think they're fine.

Their fins will, or at least should, keep healing once moved back to their permanent tanks. Just make sure they're cleaned before you put them back and that you keep the water quality top notch once their back in. I'd only do another salt QT if they're not continuing to heal.

As @Gypsy13 said, baths are also an option, if the QT doesn't work. I do baths with my less severe cases.

Hope this helps!

14. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

Here’s another update today. I think the blue crowntail is doing a lot worse (also probably because there was an incident yesterday, he was outside of the tank on my desk for who knows how long while I slept because I couldn’t get anything to cover his tank that wasn’t paper towels with holes in them, which kept sinking into the water no matter what I did, he mustve jumped out and i feel terrible)

I also think my pink veiltale is getting some fin progress, and not acting very stressed either. But the crowntails top fin/body area is looking absolutely terrible and I’m so scared it won’t be fixable. I ordered maracyn 2 and melafix (ordered melafix before I realised I probably shouldn’t use it) but I’m going to use the maracyn 2 and see if that helps. I’ve never used medications before, or even salt until now.

Attached Files:

15. Gypsy13

How hard to wake up to something like that! I hope he will be ok. You’re right the melafix is not a good thing for bettas. Follow the directions on the maracyn 2. Keep their water clean and warm. Keep us posted?

16. sleow

Oh no... poor guy. I remember you saying your QT tanks are pretty small, but if you haven't already, consider lowering the water level if you still don't have a cover. If you have saran wrap, you could poke holes in that and cover the tops? I hope he is able to pull through! We know you're doing your best for him. :emoji_slight_smile: Glad your veiltail is looking better!

17. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

I was sure he was dead and I went to pick him up and the guy moved, I’m so thankful. I can’t remember the last time I panicked that much. The maracyn 2 is coming in the mail hopefully tomorrow and I will post another update after that :)

18. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

Wow! Why did I not think of using saran wrap with air holes? I feel like an idiot lol. Thank you so much for that idea.

19. sleow

No problem at all! That's what fishlore is for after all :)

20. OP
    OP
    Kinleigh

Okay I’m running into a slight bump in plans and I would like to know what you guys think about leaving the fish back in their 5 gallon tanks for three days and pausing the salt treatment. I’m leaving my house tonight (thursday) and coming back sunday. I definitely think the pink betta is fine, but the crowntail is not doing great, and I’m scared to stop treating him even for a couple days.

The body color where his top fins are dissapearing keeps getting lighter and spreading more over his body. I don’t wanna come home and discover that his body’s rotted away and he’s passed while I was gone :( There’s also black areas showing up on his back fins, it might be coloration, but at this point I doubt it. I can’t capture his condition in real life in a photo very well. After the out of tank incident I’m sure it progressed his fin loss even more and I won’t have anyone to do water changes here. My grandma will be home, but she’s partially handicapped and can’t do much else but feed them.

My plan is to do an 80% water change in both of their tanks and start treatment with maracyn for the crowntail on sunday as soon as I get back. Do you guys think this is a bad idea? I can try to cancel my plans if it’s not optimistic