Betta Has A Hole In His Fin :(

1. Courtz Initiate Member

So my Crowntail betta that I nursed back to health a few weeks ago has a hole in his tail fin, now :( I'm thinking he may have snagged it in something, maybe? I recently put a new hide in there that I bought online, I can try to link to it maybe.. it was kind of rough and had some sharp bits inside, so I sanded it down till it felt pretty smooth to me, but maybe I missed a spot? I don't know... I'll attach a photo that shows the hole in his fin so you guys can tell me what you think!

Deco-Replicas Stone Hide-Aways|Aquarium Decorations and Ornaments

Those are the little cave hides I got him :( they looked smooth but they weren't really like I wanted... That's the only thing that's changed in his tank recently o: he loves to swim in and out of them and chill out inside, but I'll replace them with something smoother if I need to.

Another odd thing is that his temperature was low tonight when I checked on him? It was at 72 when usually it hangs around 76 :( his heater is just one for tanks up to 3 gallons, and it sits under the gravel Dx it's been keeping the temp around 76 for weeks, I dunno why it wouldn't be now :( any recommendations for heaters for a small tank?

Lotus, my betta, is in a 2.5 gallon tank that's (normally) heated and has a small sponge filter. It's not cycled but I do frequent water changes to keep things clean, since when I got him he had some fin rot and I've been trying to get that healed up. He also has a couple of live plants.

pH - 8.2
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0

[​IMG]

2. MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

Looks like fin rot to me. The ends look a bit ragged too. Do good sized water changes every day and make sure you use prime. Pristine water should fix that right up in no time

3. Courtz Initiate Member

I was thinking his fins were looking a little ragged again :( I had cut back on the 50% water changes to every other day instead of every day since his fins WERE looking so much better :'D I'll go back to every day for those, then.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for good heaters for a smaller tank? I want to keep his water nice and warm but I don't want to accidentally cook him :(

4. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I'm not 100% sure but maybe a 25 watt heater would be appropriate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've heard Hydor is a decent brand. Should be $15-20, I would think. Being too cool could stress out a betta and leave him prone to fin rot, I would guess. Hope this helps, and I hope your fishie feels better soon. Lots of clean, warm water and he'll be back to health in no time!

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

An adjustable 25 watt heater would work. If the heater's not adjustable then 15 watts would work.

6. MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

Pre set
    Amazon.com : Fluval Edge 25W Compact Heater : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies

Adjustable
    Amazon.com : Marina Submersible Heater for Aquarium, Mini, 25-watt : Pet Supplies
    or
    Amazon.com : Hydor 25W Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater - Original Theo : Pet Supplies

I like the adjustable better because you can regulate the temp. With any heater(even adjustable) I recomend testing it out in a similar size container. One of my adjustable heaters calibration isn't right so its set to 73 and its actually 80.. Would have been terrible if I had just set it to 80 without testing!

7. Deerp Initiate Member

This probably Fin Rot. But if you have more than one fish in your tank, it may be another fish picking at your Betta's tail fin, but that's just an assumption.

8. Courtz Initiate Member

I'll check the Hydor brand out o: i remember seeing people mention it before! I check him and his tank over every day, and the temperature only dropped today, and the hole in his fin showed up today too :( since he was sick when i got him, i've been really paranoid about anything else popping up on him, so I always check everything very thoroughly, everyday :'D which is good because I notice things immediately and can immediately get to work on fixing them LOL

Thank you!

That's really good to know! After I get one i'll test it out in my quarantine/hospital tank first to make sure i know what to set it at :'D thank you!

There's no other fish in his tank, but I did just add (a few days ago) a new cave hide for him that was rougher than I was expecting it to be :( I sanded it down for like half an hour before i rinsed it off and put it in his tank, but there may still be some rough edges I missed? I'm not sure :( It's making me anxious so i might take it out and replace it with like PVC pipe or something else really smooth, since i don't want anything in his tank to hurt him :( he had fin rot when I got him (and swim bladder disorder) but i thought I was getting that cleared up :'D ah well

9. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I think your cave is likely fine. I've seen several of your posts since you joined and I think you are smart, a fast learner who does her research and cares tremendously for fish. If you sanded the rough edges down, it's likely betta safe. The betta's fins don't look too bad, nothing some clean water can't quickly fix. That 25w adjustable Hydor heater on amazon looks good. That betta will be good as new in no time!

10. Courtz Initiate Member

Thank you! :'D I'm doing my best~ I'm really new to this fish thing but I'm enjoying it so far, ha ha! Hopefully I'll get my lil Lotus all fixed up soon :(

11. Courtz Initiate Member

Quick update! Before I could even do his water change tonight, I looked at his tail fin real close and the hole is less than a fourth of the size it was before! Temperature is still staying pretty low though (still at 72), so I'll definitely be getting him a better heater :( that hole was worrying me though, so I'm really glad that closed up!

9a98ccb86c12dbe306c93227310776df.jpg

You can't even see it here, really but when he flares his fins out real far, you can just barely see a hint of it o: