Betta Has A Bump On The Side Of His Head

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Damien808, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Damien808Valued MemberMember

my Betta has had this bump developing over the past month or so that I've had him. it doesn't seem to be affecting him behavior wise and appetite but I'm unsure on what to do about it. any advice and help will be appreciated. 1561443847030.jpg

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a tumour of some sort hopefully now I've started some of the experts will join in

3. Nick72Valued MemberMember

That looks really strange. Too perfectly round. Almost like a small button stuck in the side of his head.

Clearly it's not, unless it's been carefully colour matched to your Betta first.

It may be a camera angle thing.

Can you post another picture?

4. Damien808Valued MemberMember

I can compare it to like how humans have pimples. it looks round I'll try again for a picture he moves a ton

5. Damien808Valued MemberMember

more pictures 1561466515701.jpg1561466529106.jpg1561466544981.jpg

6. DixieFishValued MemberMember

That last picture is excellent. It really looks as though it's coming from under the skin. Its not very smooth or uniform, which would indicate a parasite, but its not to be ruled out. It resembles to me more of a cyst or tumor. One way to find out is to see if he will let you cradle him in your hand or in a net and gently touch the bump. A cyst or pustule will be soft, and will give or maybe move with a slight touch while a tumor will be hard and rigid.

Cysts are typically benign. Over the next few days it may expand and/or change color, but then it will either burst and heal or simply shrink and fade away (usually with slight diet changes). A tumor simply continues to grow and spread and does not go away.

Those are just my ideas - I'm not a vet! I've never taken a fish to a vet, but if I had a case like that I'd be looking around. Beautiful fish! I hope he recovers quickly. :)

7. Damien808Valued MemberMember

ok thank you for the information I really do appreciate it. this bump has grown bigger since I've first noticed it and I thought it would go away. it seems as though it's about to burst from the look of it. I'll try to cradle him but I doubt he'll let me.

8. Nick72Valued MemberMember

OK. Thanks for the new pictures. It's much clearer.

It looks very much like a tumour to me.