Betta Has 1 Cloudy Eye

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by livrich, Apr 11, 2017.

1. livrich

livrich New Member Member

Hi!
    Is it possible for a betta to have blindness in only one eye? I just got a new betta and he is in a 1.5 gallon tank; the water is from my other tank. He seemed heathy and energetic at the store, but now that I see him in the light he has one cloudy/scratched eye. He seems to be very happy because I've only had him for two days, and he made a huge bubble nest and swims around a lot, exploring his tank.

I've read that this may be due to either blindness or an infection, but I don't think it could be an infection because his other eye is perfectly fine. What should I do if it is in fact an infection? And how could I tell if he is blind or not?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Could you post a picture of him?

Is the tank filtered?
    Is the tank cycled? Adding water from another tank won't help it cycle.
    1.5 gallons is very small, I recommend 5 gallons minimum

3. OP
    OP
    livrich

I couldn't get a very good picture of his eye; here is a pic. The tank does have a filter.
    [​IMG]

4. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Did you notice his eye was like that the first day you brought him home? It's possible he could have some fungal issues. Is the white patch covering his entire eye?

5. OP
    OP
    livrich

Yes, it's a scratchy gray over his whole eye, and it's been there since I got him. Is there something I should put in the water to help clear it up?

6. FishL:))

Commonly known as Cloudy cornea, this disease causes white films on the eyes.

It can be prevented by improving the quality of water.

Eyecloud can be treated by antibiotics such as Metafix and Fungus Clear.

The bacterial sickness is not fatal but can impair vision.

See if your LFS has any of those products.

It it like a white film? I'm not 100% sure what he has just because I can't look at him in person, but that's what he may have.

7. OP
    OP
    livrich

Thank you! You hit the nail on the head! I will try to get those products for him. I think it was caused by living in a tiny cup for most of his life :/

8. FishL:))

Yeah, I know, It's sad they have to live in tiny cups. :( Wishing him a speedy recovery!! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice