Help Betta hanging out at the bottom of tank

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! My Betta has been hanging out at the bottom of his tank the past few days, he kind of looks like he's searching for food... I feed him in the morning and night every other day sometimes skipping if I leave my house, he doesn't normally hang out at the bottom of his tank but he has been for at least 2 days. His tank temp has not changed. We moved recently so I was wondering if maybe he's stressed because of the change of scenery..? Someone help! :(

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Change of scenery can definitely stress out a betta. I'd give him some time to get used to his new surroundings. Do you have a heater in the tank? Bettas are tropical fish and need warmer water. I keep mine right around 78.

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He currently lives in a 3.5 gallon and he has a heater, the temp is 80 right now. we moved 19 days ago.

Do you think I should get a water test?

Shrimpgeek

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm... He should be settled in by now. Could the tap water be too different?
If you can. Does his belly look bloated?

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could be he's finally gone up to the top of the water but he's not as active as he usually is. I haven't changed the food I give him or the water conditioner in his tank. I haven't changed the filter in a while because someone told me I shouldn't, do I need to change it?

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it's been over two weeks it isn't the change in scenery then. I'd definitely test the water and go from there.

Don't change the filter unless it's falling apart. Maybe give it a good clean in some tank water if it's looking nasty.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bettalover0Z said:
He currently lives in a 3.5 gallon and he has a heater, the temp is 80 right now. we moved 19 days ago.

Do you think I should get a water test?
I would definitely suggest getting a water test. I would get the API 5-in-1 strips (ideally the API Master Test Kit if you can afford it) and test it yourself because store employees can often be misleading.

Maerad2021

Reaction score
Danny002 said:
I would definitely suggest getting a water test. I would get the API 5-in-1 strips (ideally the API Master Test Kit if you can afford it) and test it yourself because store employees can often be misleading.
If you want to take the water to a local fish store you can, and you can ask them to show you the tested samples and the range scale to take note of the parameters.

Shrimpgeek

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he's bloated he could have dropsy. Try feeding him a shelled frozen pea(thawed) and then fast him for two or three days. Unless he goes back to normal during, and wants fed.

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok! Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to get the water tested I'm going over to Petco soon so I'll just bring a water sample. I'll take a picture of him to show. Also, I have never seen him go to the bathroom, I'm hoping he does it while I'm not looking but he has been living since October 2019 so I'm guessing he poops...

New Threads