Betta Gut Parasite? Question

1. Cam1112

Cam1112 New Member Member

Hey so my betta has been doing great so far, had him for a while now and introduced two snails to his tank not too long ago (last week ish) and he’s been pooping fine but just now I noticed a stringy white poo and I know that can be a sign of gut parasites but I have zero expertise or experience with this so I’d like some help with what to do or even a second opinion. Since writing this my betta dislodged the poo so I don’t have any photos sorry ☹️. Could it have come from the snails?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Hi Cam,

It can possibly be that. I have heard of parasites hitchhiking on the inside of snails.

Let me start by saying a 10 litre is bare minimum for betta, adding the snails will add a lot to the bio load. Do you know what kind of snail they are? nerites?

The clear waste could be from him having an empty stomach or parasites. What do you feed the tank? How much? How often? Does his stomach look sunken in?

3. OP
    OP
    Cam1112

Thanks for the reply, I’m currently cycling a 38L tank to move him and the snails to in the hopes I can add a bottom feeding fish later on. He’s honestly pretty fat, he’s stomach doesn’t look sunken in at all, I feed him pellets and bloodworms (freeze dried) once or twice a day and his fasting day is normally Friday. I wouldn’t have thought it was an empty stomach because I fed him this morning.

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I would get something a little bigger if you want to add bottom feeders.

Do you know your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nirate, Ph? Is he acting different than he usually does?

5. OP
    OP
    Cam1112

Last weeks test came back with everything in the clear, I normally test every Sunday. He’s not acting any different either, he’s been very inquisitive towards the snails but has overall not seemed to change behaviour at all.

6. Gala

Gala Well Known Member Member

What do you feed him? I've heard sometimes freeze dried bloodworms can make their poop look like a parasite. I had it happen once and never again.

7. OP
    OP
    Cam1112

I do feed him bloodworms and pellets, he hasn’t done this before but I have feed him blood worms more often these last few days.