Betta, Gourami & Guppy

1. ThomasDickson

ThomasDickson Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Setting up the following community in a 30gal.
    Anything concerning I should look out for.
    - 9 Pacific Blue Eyes
    - 5 Panda Corydoras
    - 3 Firetail gudgeons (or peacock gudgeons)
    - 1 Female Kribensis
    - 1 Bolivian Ram
    - 3 Guppy (1M:2F) (maybe endlers)
    - 1 Honey Gourami
    - 1 Female Betta

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,573
    Yes, there are definitely concerning issues here.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

Bettas should not be mixed with gouramis. I wouldn't keep them with gudgeons either.

Cories should be in larger groups.

I don't think this tank is big enough for a krib and a ram.

The guppies and the dwarf cichlid will outcompete the blue eyes for food - they are very delicate and timid compared to other fish.

3. OP
    OP
    ThomasDickson

ThomasDickson Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou for the feedback :)

Tank Dimensions are 63cm width x 50cm depth x 38cm high = 119.7L (31.6gal).

My local aquarium houses female bettas with honey Gourami. Honey's are fairly docile from what I have read. Does it become an issue as they mature? The gudgeons (Firetail) are bottom dwellers occupying a different space to the bettas.

6 Corydoras would be better.

The tank will have floating plants (duckweed, frogbit and water Sprite) and stem plants. Could this reduce aggression between the Kribensis and Ram?

That's interesting about the Pacific blue eyes. I've had honey blue eyes in a pond and they ate aggressively from the surface. This was a species only pond though. Cichlids (or at least my Kribensis) tend not to eat from the surface.

I could change the guppies to endlers....they may become food for the Krib though.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,573
    Bettas will move all over the tank. They're not community fish. They may seem fine one day until they turn and kill or hurt fish in your tank. Keeping a betta in a community tank is solely for the pleasure of the owner, as it can be harmful to both the betta and the other fish in the tank.

Honey gourami are very docile fish, which means you really shouldn't keep them with bettas, as they will be hurt or killed.

No, floating plants will not reduce aggression between krib and ram.

With this small of a tank (it is not really very long, even though the volume makes it seem big), I would definitely not keep a krib and a ram together, nor would I add a betta.

Panda cories are also not temperature compatible with bettas. Keeping a species outside of their temperature range can shorten their lifespan and increase susceptibility to diseases.

What about something like this?

9-10x Blue eyes
    8x Panda cores
    1x Bolivian ram
    2x Peacock gudgeons
    2-3x Honey gourami
    5x Male endlers

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +3,722
    I agree with TD.