Betta Got Attacked!!!

1. The fish guy11122

The fish guy11122 Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hello, so i have had a betta in my 17gal tank now for a month. The tank has the betta,some small loaches two dwarf frogs and a female gbr cichlid. Everything has been fine until today when i came to the tank and saw the gbr chasing the betta and ripping its fins. I removed the gbr from the tank and the betta has spent the rest of the day hiding behind a plant. It has now calmed down and came out to eat but its fins are almost destroyed. Will they heal on their own? I was thinking of maby trimming of the shredded parts of the fins so they could grow back properly. What should I do?

2. bNissan

bNissan Member Member

Ratings:
    +110
    It would be best to get a tank to keep the beta in by itself. They are notorious for not getting along with tank mates.

If you keep it in clean water the fins should heal on their own.

3. Jocelyn Adelman

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,688
    Agreed. I would pull out the betta from the main tank and leave the gbr in there, for now. The betta will heal more quickly with super clean water (daily water changes) and rest. If you have a spare plant or decoration add it to the other tank as well for some comfort of the betta.

4. Polyrhythm

Polyrhythm Member Member

Ratings:
    +94
    I'd isolate the betta, as the ADFs might nip at his tail too. Something at least 2.5 gallons will do.

Whatever you do don't trim his fins. Not only would it be very stressful for him but it could cause an infection and make it worse.

5. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,929
    Remove Betta , they should be in their own tanks for these reasons, also remove the ADF because they should also be in their own tanks.

The Betta fins should heal up nicely by themself with large daily water changes. Do not attempt to cut anything just let nature do the healing.

also what are these few loaches called?

6. Shadow2331

Shadow2331 Member Member

Ratings:
    +55
    You need to separate the betta fish ASAP it is already stressed and weak, mostly bettas prefer to be alone other wise they will stress out, remove the betta and place him in a separate tank with clean water and heater, provide lots of hiding places. Your betta is already damaged and weak with stress added it is very much susceptible for the bacterial infection so you have to be careful, provide clean and proper temperature water, if he becomes healthy his fins will heal fast, provide high protein food for it.
    Do not trim his fins, bettas have sensitive fins and trimming it would cause lot of stress, you need to be very expert in trimming the betta fins in order to perform trimming operation.

7. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Ratings:
    +11
    I have a 3.9 gallon critter keeper spare but i have no way of heating it and have no spare decorations or plants. I moved the gbr to my planted 30gal tank and the betta is not being harassed anymore and seems a lot better besides from the fins. So they will just heal on there own then?? Do I need any medication to prevent infection?

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,929
    Just do large daily water changes and they will heal naturally.

by small loaches do you mean kuhli loaches?

9. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Ratings:
    +11
    Yes I didn't know how to spell it

I have put the betta in a large fry net in the main tank so that he can rest and reach the top mor easily and his fins can heal. I added some of the plants to the net so he can rest and be more comfortable

10. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,035
    Amen to that! Don't do surgery on your fish! He's already started to heal and you'll just leave new open wounds. Well, maybe a piercing or two wouldn't hurt so he has some bling... on second thought, not that, either.

11. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Ratings:
    +11
    Yes i will just let him heal naturally as he is separate now from any other fish

12. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +495
    Dose the tank he's in with aquarium salt if you have it.
    1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, make sure it's completely dissolved before adding it to the tank. It will help with stress and regrowing his fins.

13. Jocelyn Adelman

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,688
    Not an expert on this but I believe salt and loaches may not be a good idea

14. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +495
    Shoot!! You're absolutely right. And it's definitely not safe for the ADF. If you the betta fish in a tank by himself, I would dose aquarium salt then. But not the main tank.