Betta gone VEGAN??

1. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

My new betta, Violet hasn't eaten anything but peas since she's arrived. She doesn't eat any pellets, not bloodworms, or flakes. She goes after peas like crazy though. Also, if she does eat a pellet, or anything else, she's "backed up" the next day.

Bettas are carnivores, so i doubt this "Vegan" way of living is healthy for her... anything i can do?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

fast her for a few days...ill betcha she will change her mind LOL ...and IMO yes she does need more than peas in her diet....have you tried frozen bloodworms or frozen bbs yet?

3. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Dont you mean vast lol

I agree with her though

Best wishes to your betta :)

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;laughing

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. Bettas can be picky at first but I bet she'll come around. :)

6. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

she actually refused a bloodworm... and a frozen one at that!

:jawdrop:

I'll try the garlic juice trick too, but I'll fast her for a couple days... and I should keep the peas in her regular diet, right?

7. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Can you try her on a mosquito? What a darling! She just has too much heart to eat another creature! :)

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you can if you choose too..but not daily...1 a week is alright :)

9. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

that's what i meant. sorry, i wasn't clear =3

i'll fast her until Christmas, then I'll try some garlic juice and pellets.

10. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Will she get her Christmas dinner? :)

11. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

if she wants it :giggle:

I'm mixing up a blend of different foods for the whole crew. Some flakes, granules, veggie crisps, all mixed up in some fresh garlic juice :drool:

and maybe I'll throw in a pea just for her :rolleyes:

12. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a feast! :D

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello TFA. Where did you buy her? It would be interesting to know what she was eating prior to your rescue?
    Best wishes. I hope she decides a varied diet is much better than peas alone and begins to eat more.
    Ken

14. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

She's a Christmas Betta. From petsmart unfortunately. She was probably on a diet of pellets, but i'm not entirely sure.

15. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Is she eating yet?

16. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

if she's from petsmart they probably just fed her flakes, which may be why she's not eating. i couldn't get one of my bettas to eat anything but bloodworms for the LONGEST time, i'm pretty sure he was on a flake-diet, but one day i tried giving him a few pellets and he gobbled them right up. temperamental little ones, they are.