Betta & Goldfish??? HELP

1. animalluver Initiate Member

hey!

im new here and i have two bettas and my little sister has a goldfish. One of my bettas was looking bad so i put him in with the goldfish, which has a bigger tank. I know that Bettas work with some fish and a friend told me its ok to put them with goldfish. Also, i know that bettas can get aggresive with goldfish. I have been observing the two fish and i really noticed that the betta is chasing and terrozing the goldfish. He is actuall chasing the goldfish A LOT. Will this change? Is it ok? What damage does it do? Will the goldfish have a miserable life??? I feel bad. Honestly I want the best for them. Basically is it okey to let them "settle their differences" or should I interfere and seperate them?
    ???
    Will it stress the goldfish tooo much or what?? PLEASE SOMEONE give me some advice!!!!!

Thanks,

Animal Luver!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Bettas prefer warm temperatures such as 78-80 degrees, and gold fish are cool water fish and prefers 55-70 degrees this makes them very incompatible as tank mates.
    The male Betta will chase any kind of long fins because they see it as another male betta.( I assume it's a male betta) ;) Two male bettas in the same tank will fight usually until one is very beat up or dead.
    The bettas need at least 5 gallons of water each. and the goldfish needs at least 10 Gallons preferably 20 Gallons because they produce so much waste. Hope that helps.
    Carol
    By the was WELCOME TO FISHLORE!!! :D ;D

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Butterfly has it down.
    i totally agree.
    Adds my welcome to the pile.

Dino