Betta Glass Surfing

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by wem21, Apr 20, 2017.

1. wem21Well Known MemberMember

Is it normal for my Betta to do this? He frequently swims quickly up, down and across the tank glass, sometimes touching the glass but mostly 1/2mm-1mm from it. The behavior started today, And I got him 2 days ago. Slightly worried, my other bettas dont do this.
    @CindiL @TexasDomer

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It could be a typical behavior for a betta that is just adjusting to his new environment.

My betta glass surfed when I first got him.

Do you have photos of him?

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I think all mine did it when the tank was new to them. I do still see it happen occasionally in back of the tank when they catch a reflection of themselves.

4. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Yeah, he might just be seeing his reflection and going after it. Does he flare at all while he does it?

5. OP
    OP
    w

wem21Well Known MemberMember

yes, he does.

6. Sen

SenValued MemberMember

My first betta glass surfed consistently for the first few weeks after I got him. I think they're just getting adjusted to how much new space they have. Now it's not so much glass surfing as it is patrolling the tank, since he'll do a few laps and then go lie down, then get up and repeat. If he sees me, he'll stay in one place near the glass and look expectantly at me to feed him.

If your betta is flaring a lot at his reflection, you can try covering up parts of the tank or putting some things outside for him to look at. I have some fake leaves taped up, and spider plants in cups around the corners so the long leaves catch my fish's attention more than his reflection.

7. OP
    OP
    w

wem21Well Known MemberMember

I have a close up of his finrot tail and a few swimmy shots

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice