Betta glass surfing in new tank (5 gallon)

Megaanemp

Hello,

Today I purchased a betta fish.
I set up a 5 gallon for him.
I am doing a fish in cycle with this guy and have a master test kit to carefully monitor.
He has only been in his new tank for about a half hour and was previously housed in a 1 gallon bowl.
I definitely remembered to condition the water and acclimated him for about 20 mins.
I’m not sure why he’s glass surfing and have little experience with bettas. Also he’s not doing it constantly.
He otherwise looks to be very healthy.
I’d really appreciate some advice!

water parameter (5 gallon tank with sponge filter):
temp: 78F (His bowl was cold did I temperature shock him?)
ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

SAM321

If there too much light that is causing reflection

StarGirl

It could be temperature shock. What kind of conditioner are you using?

Megaanemp

SAM321 said:
If there too much light that is causing reflection
Thanks for the reply!
Don’t think it’s the light it’s fairly dark, he has no light. Though there is some natural sunlight.
Could he be just getting used to the tank?

StarGirl15 said:
It could be temperature shock. What kind of conditioner are you using?
Prime. The bowl he came from was probably about 70-75 degrees. I was hoping he’d be ok in a 78 degree tank due to the long car ride ( the car was probably in between 75-78). He was only in the bag for about an hour in tota.

StarGirl

You let him acclimate that is probably not the case then. Maybe it is just getting used to the tank. Keep an eye on him see if he keeps doing it.

Megaanemp

He is swimming normally in between these brief glass surfing. So maybe I’m just over reacting?
StarGirl15 said:
You let him acclimate that is probably not the case then. Maybe it is just getting used to the tank. Keep an eye on him see if he keeps doing it.
Thanks so much for the help! I may just be over reacting he’s mostly just exploring normally. When I was a kid I had a betta in a little bowl before I knew any better, so I’m just really trying to do right by this guy!

StarGirl

It sounds like everything is as good as its going to be before you get cycled! Keep track of ammonia and nitrites. be ready to go lots of water changes. Keep them both under 1ppm for your Prime to keep him safe.

Megaanemp

StarGirl15 said:
It sounds like everything is as good as its going to be before you get cycled! Keep track of ammonia and nitrites. be ready to go lots of water changes. Keep them both under 1ppm for your Prime to keep him safe.
Thanks for the advice. I will test the water often and look out for that!

bogmummy

Glass surfing is normal for fish in cycles. turn of the lights and that might help, but there's really nothing to worry about.

StarGirl

Is the side where hes surfing towards the window? Maybe block the light on that side see if that helps.

Megaanemp

bogmummy said:
Glass surfing is normal for fish in cycles. turn of the lights and that might help, but there's really nothing to worry about.
thanks for the reply

StarGirl15 said:
Is the side where hes surfing towards the window? Maybe block the light on that side see if that helps.
He did it a couple times on each side of the tank. I could try blocking light and see if that helps though. He seems to be behaving normally now, I wonder if he just needed to settle.

idkausernamesoyeah

bettas have a labrynth i believe so they have the ability to breath air

bogmummy

Megaanemp said:
He did it a couple times on each side of the tank. I could try blocking light and see if that helps though. He seems to be behaving normally now, I wonder if he just needed to settle.
good to hear

Sputnik

Just an idea based on your photo- I learned the hard way to keep my heater low in the tank- just in case you forget to switch it off when doing water changes- you never want to run a heater dry! Good luck with the little guy!

StarGirl

Agree if you have enough cord put it way to the bottom just like you have it.

Megaanemp

bogmummy said:
good to hear
I also moves the plants to the sides where he may have been seeing his reflection so hopefully that will break up the line of sight thanks again for the help everyone!
Sputnik said:
Just an idea based on your photo- I learned the hard way to keep my heater low in the tank- just in case you forget to switch it off when doing water changes- you never want to run a heater dry! Good luck with the little guy!
Oh good point! I’ll move it, thank you!

I also moved the live plants to the sides where he may have been seeing his reflection so hopefully that will break up the line of sight thanks again for the help everyone!

Sputnik

Thats great! If you can decrease the brightness of your light or reposition it that may help too. Bettas seem to prefer dimmer light in my experience. I had one who blew out his fins flaring all the time-the tank was heavily planted and I tried everything else I could think of, but the one thing that helped was dimming the light level.

Megaanemp

Sputnik said:
Thats great! If you can decrease the brightness of your light or reposition it that may help too. Bettas seem to prefer dimmer light in my experience. I had one who blew out his fins flaring all the time-the tank was heavily planted and I tried everything else I could think of, but the one thing that helped was dimming the light level.
The tank doesn’t have a light, but I have turned the lights down in the room and closed the blinds!

Sputnik

That might help- but keep in mind tanks near windows and natural light often develop algae problems, but plants need a certain amount of light to grow- you may need to get a light eventually, even for low light plants like anubias

Rylan

Completely normal for new Betta to glass surf the first day if not for at least a couple weeks. It’s a new world. he’ll get used to it. Not to worry.

Megaanemp

Sputnik said:
That might help- but keep in mind tanks near windows and natural light often develop algae problems, but plants need a certain amount of light to grow- you may need to get a light eventually, even for low light plants like anubias
I will keep that in mind thank you!

Rylan said:
Completely normal for new Betta to glass surf the first day if not for at least a couple weeks. It’s a new world. he’ll get used to it. Not to worry.
Thank you for your help

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom