Betta Getting Sucked By Filter

Fish1235

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have been seeing recently that my betta is getting very close to the intake of my HOB filter and has a hard time getting away. I had to turn off the filter so he could get away. I also saw that he got stuck in a plant near the filter. I crushed a piece of food and let him see it and fed it to him, but I had to move the plant for him to get close.

I had another thread on him on a different topic that has different info here.https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/need-help-moving-betta-from-tank-to-tank.411240/

Is there anything I can do for the filter? Is there something wrong with him?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Put a pre-filter sponge over the intake.

The filter isn't still off is it? You don't want to leave that off for long...

OP
F

Fish1235

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I turned the filter off about 10 minutes ago. He’s still going very close to it. Another thing I’ve noticed is that sometimes he jerks around. Could it be an internal parasite?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish1235 said:
I turned the filter off about 10 minutes ago. He’s still going very close to it. Another thing I’ve noticed is that sometimes he jerks around. Could it be an internal parasite?
Ok, just don't leave it off for long. Stagnant water isn't healthy and you can also lose your cycle if it is left off for too long.

Jerking around in what way? twitching and stuff? Do you see any poop?

OP
F

Fish1235

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No I haven’t seen him poop when he’s twitching. He kind of moves quickly back and forth in a small area. It kind of looks like if he were shaking something off him.

OP
F

Fish1235

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here is a picture of him.
Another thing is, along with sometimes twitching he’ll look at his reflection and flare his gills.
image.jpg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish1235 said:
No I haven’t seen him poop when he’s twitching. He kind of moves quickly back and forth in a small area. It kind of looks like if he were shaking something off him.
I didn't mean specifically when he is twitching. If a fish has parasites, often you can tell that by the appearance of the poop. So I was just wondering if you had seen the poop recently.

OP
F

Fish1235

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry, I have seen his poop recently. It looked tan, about the size of a pellet with a little string at the end.

Cognac82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just attached a piece of aquarium sponge with a rubber band on mine. That stopped the getting stuck thing. Sometimes my bettas do a herky jerky thing where they swim and toss their body sideways and then flare. I always assumed it was part of displaying or something.

OP
F

Fish1235

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you for the help, the aquarium sponge is working great and his no longer getting stuck near it.

New Threads