Question Betta Gender/type

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I will introduce myself since I am new. I have been browsing this site and many others to read and research more about fishkeeping since I have found that I thoroughly love the hobby. Initially we got a tank for our son and through trial and error of many newbie mistakes, it seems we finally got it going well, plus started up a second tank as well.

Anyways, we have a small variety of mostly community fish, and ive found a love for eel loaches in particular, hence my username, but it is my betta that confuses me.

"She" was sold as a female veiltail. My son picked her out and I find her very delightful and all, but for the life of me I cannot be 100% sure she is what she was sold as.

Shes got long ventral fins, a slight beard, has flared at our molly once after a water change, has bright colours, longish fins (for a female, short for a male VT), but has an egg spot and has since the day we got her. I swear she looked like she had eggs in her, she had a very fat belly for a bit, then it went down but she out eats everyone but the molly at mealtimes so she just could be fat.

Anywho, id love some thoughts on if shes a young male or a female, and if shes what I would call a multicolour veiltail?

Attached are photos of her, showing different angles. She is kept with a dalmation molly, dwarf gourami, and some false juliI cories. The loaches are in our second tank with molly fry

Attachments

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Her color could be said to be grizzle/multicolor.

Is there a way you could get a side photo where her back is straight? As of now, I am leaning towards female.

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I think this may be one of the better side photos I have

The_fishy

Another.

Its hard as shes not really one to sit still.
Ive never seen a female as bright as she is so that's probably the biggest thing throwing me off.

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello, and welcome to fishlore!

That looks to be a female betta to me.

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Female, but looks a bit round. I’d try and monitor her food intake a bit at mealtime, their stomachs are only about the size of their eye.

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thanks everyone

The_fishy its hard because she is a glutton. She steals from the other fish and eats everything. Ive seen her grab shrimp right out of the molly's mouth. Theyre fed a mix of live food, freeze dried shrimp, betta pellets, algae wafers (broken into tiny pieces not given whole, offered 1x a week) and bottom feeder pellets. The shrimp is offered once a week and one live mealworm is given daily (our dwarf gouramI won't touch absolutely anything else, stubborn guy). Pellets offered twice a day in small amounts. The mealworm is cut into fish size pieces. I gut load them with tropical flake food. That one feeds all of them... but Blue is a pig, not aggressive over it, just bold.

New Threads