Help Betta Gender/tail Id Help

DarkDenial

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, I bought a stunning betta at the LPS. But now, as I prepare to start up a sorority, I'm very confused and curious as to gender and tail type on this fish. It won't be going in the sorority anyway as it seems very aggressive just from what I've seen while floating it. Was sold as a veiltail female, but I'm thinking it may be a male plakat or HMPK or an SD or HM female. Best pic I have with her fully flared.

Attachments

guppynubis

Reaction score
types is I don't know..but gender is easy to know..if u buy that betta that put separately from the other,that mean male beta..because at LPS,they usually put many type female in one tank..it may 10 to 15 betta female in just one tank..happy betta there..

BarbaraLocke

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I thought the best way to sex a betta was by seeing an ‘egg spot’ on the females (looks like a grain of salt between the ventral and analfins). I bought a supposed female some months ago, which was quite small at the time so I thought that it was too young to have an egg spot. All the bettas were kept in cups at this store - they did not have a sorority tank. Well, s/he has grown some, and still there is no egg spot! Here’s a couple pix - maybe Betty is really a Bob?!

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BarbaraLocke said:
I thought the best way to sex a betta was by seeing an ‘egg spot’ on the females (looks like a grain of salt between the ventral and analfins). I bought a supposed female some months ago, which was quite small at the time so I thought that it was too young to have an egg spot. All the bettas were kept in cups at this store - they did not have a sorority tank. Well, s/he has grown some, and still there is no egg spot! Here’s a couple pix - maybe Betty is really a Bob?!
I've found the egg spot to be unreliable (even though it's like a sex characteristic?!) Yours looks female to me, tbh.
OP, I'd guess male plakat

BarbaraLocke

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
I've found the egg spot to be unreliable (even though it's like a sex characteristic?!) Yours looks female to me, tbh.
OP, I'd guess male plakat
Thanks Rtessy! I bought her because her color matches my male Splenda (on the other side of a divided 20g), and they do make a striking pair! I have no intentions of trying to breed, so it isn’t a biggie if she turned out to be a he

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
guppynubis said:
types is I don't know..but gender is easy to know..if u buy that betta that put separately from the other,that mean male beta..because at LPS,they usually put many type female in one tank..it may 10 to 15 betta female in just one tank..happy betta there..
That can be a rule of thumb, but larger chain stores don't necessarily follow that.

SarahBear1009

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
leftswerve said:
That can be a rule of thumb, but larger chain stores don't necessarily follow that.
I know Petco doesn't do that. My LFS (mom and pop) does keep their females in a tank together though.

OP
DarkDenial

DarkDenial

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Repolie said:
OP does have a male plakat.
That's a tad disappointing, was really hoping it was still female, but hey, for the $8 that I paid, I feel like I got a stunning fish! Lol. I remember even when I bought her I told the lady at the counter that I was pretty sure she was actually male based on size and body shape alone. Lol. Oh well! Lucky find! Never owned a plakat before!

Is it possible he's also Dragonscale? He has these very solid-coloured white metallic scales with areas of less opaque scales along the top line and belly. Here's a picture showing his topline.

Attachments

Victoria99

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Halfmoon or delta for sure, most likely a plakat. The ventral fins do seems pretty long. Is there a visible "beard" under/around the gills?

BarbaraLocke said:
I think yours is a girl. Deeper chest/body area and shorter ventral fins

OP
DarkDenial

DarkDenial

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Victoria99 said:
Halfmoon or delta for sure, most likely a plakat. The ventral fins do seems pretty long. Is there a visible "beard" under/around the gills?
I haven't noticed a beard even when they flare. Definitely very aggressive with the other females in the tank (is not in the tank). But the length of the fins even make me think a male?

Victoria99

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
DarkDenial said:
I haven't noticed a beard even when they flare. Definitely very aggressive with the other females in the tank (is not in the tank). But the length of the fins even make me think a male?
Well, I mean, PLKTs all have short fins. I don't know enough about the variance of female vs. Male PLKT fins though, so I can't say

BarbaraLocke

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Victoria99 said:

I think yours is a girl. Deeper chest/body area and shorter ventral fins
Thank you for pointing this out, Victoria99! These are my first Bettas, and I have a lot to learn! I have always loved the gorgeous colors of Bettas, and can’t stand how they are kept in stores!

New Threads