Betta Gasping At Surface

Beckythebetta

Reaction score
  1. This is my first time posting on here, I hope im posting in the right spot! If not I apologize.
    I've had my female betta since november 2017, she was a baby when I got her. She normally swims non stop and is extremely active during the day, but this morning she wasn't moving at all and breathing heavy. I change 50% of the water once every week, and I have no idea what is wrong, she is still eating and swimming normally, but she hid behind the filter for hours.
    Tank has already been cycled
    Tank size: 3 gallons
    Heater: 80 degrees
    Filter: whisper 1-3gallon
    Amonina: 0ppm
    Nirate:0ppm
    :0ppm
    :7.0ppm
    (I use )
    This is my first fish and I've never run into this problem, she has always had problems on and off with fin rot. I noticed a tiny hole like mark on the top of her, but nothing else seems abnormal.
    I know this picture isnt that great,but this is the weird mark on the top of her.

Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; background: url("styles/default/xenforo/gradients/category-23px-light.png") center top repeat-x rgb(240, 247, 252); border-radius: 5px;">
    • View attachment 434961
    • I believe I posted this in the wrong section earlier, her breathing has gotten worse, she is gasping at the surface. anyone have suggestions or insight to what may be wrong?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well here is what I can think of:
A. Your tank is too deep. (I don't know if your tank is too deep or not) Bettas breathe from the surface.
B. You haven't let the tank cycle. In a cycled tank there would be a little bit of nitrate.
C. The tank is too small. Personally I would recommend 5.5 gallons minimum per betta.

Beckythebetta

Reaction score
Maybe I did something wrong and lost the cycle. She stopped eating, and won't move. This is a tricky case, thank you for your help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom