Betta fungus? Help

1. annihilaity Initiate Member

My betta was fine yesterday, but when I woke up this morning, pieces of his tail were all over the sand in his tank. I flushed him out of his hiding spot and was horrified to see his whole tail was missing and a white fungus on him where it was. I put some Melafix in his tank, as well as some salt and Prime. It's pretty bad and I'm worried he won't make it. I just this week put 3 panda corys in his tank. Two died. I'm not sure if they brought the fungus with them or if it's related. Is there anything more I can do to help him, or just treat him with Melafix in the hopes he gets better? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Eesh poor guy! If you have cories left maybe you should take them out. Or the betta. Do you have a QT tank?

What are your water parameters if I may ask?

3. annihilaity Initiate Member

It's a 2.5 gal with a filter, and I got my water tested yesterday, I can't tell you the exact reading, but my ammonia was a little high and I corrected it with Seachem. I don't have a QT but I was going to treat the whole tank to make sure my last Cory wasn't infected either. The two don't seem to interact at all.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

The cory will be killed by most medications, in fact, I'm surprised the salt has not already done so. You should remove him immediately.

Change 1/2 the water daily until he gets better, unless you are restricted by the instructions on the meds. Super pristine water is the best way to promote healing. The salt may have killed the original disease, but the medication I use for fin rot is Maracyn Plus and it has always stopped the fins from deteriorating further. How well the betta regrows the fins differs from betta to betta and it is my opinion hinges entirely on pristine water conditions.

5. annihilaity Initiate Member

I'm actually out of town for a few days so I've left him with a friend and I can't really check up on them. I don't believe she has the resources to set up a tank for the Cory but I'll ask her if she can try... He was doing fine when I last saw him last night. The Melafix says to do a water change after 7 days of treatment, but I'll certainly try the pristine water for regrowth. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app