Betta fungus / fungal infection? - Page 2

Racing1113

So the best way to treat columnaris is with a combo of Kanamycin and nitrofurazone. Seachem Kanaplex (Kanamycin) is on Amazon, other than that I've only found it at 1 local fish store. Haven't seen it at Petsmart. Nitrofurazone is in jungle fungus clear (Walmart) or API furan-2 (definitely on Amazon, not sure about Petsmart).

Theo

So the best way to treat columnaris is with a combo of Kanamycin and nitrofurazone. Seachem Kanaplex (Kanamycin) is on Amazon, other than that I've only found it at 1 local fish store. Haven't seen it at Petsmart. Nitrofurazone is in jungle fungus clear (Walmart) or API furan-2 (definitely on Amazon, not sure about Petsmart).
Okay, thank you so much!!!

Racing1113

You're welcome, good luck! Keep us updated!

Theo

You're welcome, good luck! Keep us updated!
Unfortunately the little guy didn't make it. He passed right before I gave him the meds.
Since cloumnaris is contagious should I replace the filter cartridge and clean the tank out?

Racing1113

Oh no I'm so sorry! That was quick. When my cories had columnaris it was one of the slow moving strains so it gave me weeks to figure out what it was and treat it. I forget there's some super fast moving strains. I'm honestly not sure where the bacteria actually lives. I didn't change the biowheel or the biomax in my filter but then again all the meds had passed over them. I'll tag a few people who will know more AllieSten CindiL KimberlyG

Theo

Oh no I'm so sorry! That was quick. When my cories had columnaris it was one of the slow moving strains so it gave me weeks to figure out what it was and treat it. I forget there's some super fast moving strains. I'm honestly not sure where the bacteria actually lives. I didn't change the biowheel or the biomax in my filter but then again all the meds had passed over them. I'll tag a few people who will know more AllieSten CindiL KimberlyG
It was extremely quick, this morning his fuzz was the same as it was yesterday. By the end of today he had the thick fuzz and lesions. Thanks so much for your help though! I'll be better prepared for next time (hopefully it won't happen again)

Racing1113

Yes hopefully never again! And if so, hopefully it's a slow moving strain. I know it's small comfort, but at least he passed away in a heated tank with clean water instead of in that tiny cup.

KimberlyG

I'm sorry to hear that your guy as passed. That was very sudden.
I only use kanamycin when I have to. Repeated use can damage the kidneys.
How long was it from when you first started to notice something was wrong to the time your boy passed?

Racing1113

I'm sorry to hear that your guy as passed. That was very sudden.
I only use kanamycin when I have to. Repeated use can damage the kidneys.
How long was it from when you first started to notice something was wrong to the time your boy passed?

I hope I didn't give wrong info! I know Kanamycin is hard on fish - I probably just got scared from my bout with columnaris since the JFC wasn't helping by itself so my line of thinking is to get aggressive with the treatment. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

KimberlyG

I hope I didn't give wrong info! I know Kanamycin is hard on fish - I probably just got scared from my bout with columnaris since the JFC wasn't helping by itself so my line of thinking is to get aggressive with the treatment. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Your information was correct. For treating columnaris, kanamycin and nutrafurazone together has proven time and time again to be one of the most effective treatments for the bacteria. I was simply saying that I don't like to use kanamycin on a fish that is not showing any symptoms. Sorry if that was unclear.

Racing1113

Your information was correct. For treating columnaris, kanamycin and nutrafurazone together has proven time and time again to be one of the most effective treatments for the bacteria. I was simply saying that I don't like to use kanamycin on a fish that is not showing any symptoms. Sorry if that was unclear.

No you're fine! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going around telling people the wrong thing to do lol

moonquartz

Can someone help me something is wrong with my betta and I'm not sure if it's fungal infection or not anymore I have treated him with a fungal medicine and had him on quarantine for 3 weeks now but he doesn't seem to be getting any better and it looks like he's trying to have fin rot as well he does have tints of discoloration as well

Attachments

• 20180808_141052.jpg
    20180808_141052.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20180808_141034.jpg
    20180808_141034.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180808_141004.jpg
    20180808_141004.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 55

AquaticJ

I don’t see anything, where am I supposed to be looking?

More information would be super helpful. Tank size, water parameters, etc.

moonquartz

I don’t see anything, where am I supposed to be looking?

More information would be super helpful. Tank size, water parameters, etc.
Sorry difficult to see, but he has some white patches on his gills he hasn't had before, also I've seen his tail have a dot of red before like fin rot, right now I have him in a 1 gallon tank so I can treat him before returning him to his original tank.

Gurs Singh

Try a 30% water change , if he seems better than it is water quality

Shibabae

I bought this betta about two months ago at my local fish store. He was in tank with about 50 other koi bettas. I didn't notice that half his mouth was missing when I bought him as I had purchased 2 other bettas at the same time.

His mouth never healed so I'm assuming he was born like that. Today I noticed him sitting/laying at the bottom of the tank periodically. He also keeps flaring and clamping. After further inspection I saw some redness and swelling in the eye/mouth area. I'm wondering if he has some kind of fungal infection. What can I treat him with?

He was in a cycled, heated (80) split 10 gallon tank. I put him in my 3 gal baby snail tank for now.

29CC8953-DAD5-4BDC-B28F-E5940F28248E.jpeg
EC4A3499-9B79-42AF-BD41-0D74667AF04B.jpeg
1A065858-F186-42B1-A7E0-C1252373F8B9.jpeg

How he looked when I got him.

FA16EAFB-7DA9-4FF8-BDCE-A5CB461C59DA.png

Attachments

• 89FBA293-0FD5-4E1E-BD34-75705F97CBFB.png
    89FBA293-0FD5-4E1E-BD34-75705F97CBFB.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 81

FishFor2018

Try using kanaplex. Hope he’s okay!

Repolie

I think he looks fine. I don't see anything unusual. As for the redness, it could be him marbling and that's the red colour appearing.

wolfdog01

I can't see anything wrong either. He looks adorable! Loving the colors. About the mouth part missing, do you mean the black area? I can't see any missing parts and the redness looks fine.

Shibabae

I can't see anything wrong either. He looks adorable! Loving the colors. About the mouth part missing, do you mean the black area? I can't see any missing parts and the redness looks fine.

Not sure if you can see in these pics. A chunk of his mouth is missing near his eye. The black part is his mouth, it's a beauty mark. That's why I didn't notice part of his mouth was missing cause I thought the black part was his whole mouth but it's only half. I found him laying on his betta bed sideways today.

B96FFDB3-2524-4518-81AD-D920449C5327.jpeg
461531FC-30B9-4806-8FE6-A4B54579267D.jpeg

wolfdog01

I still can't see anything wrong, might be the coloring playing mind games on you lol.
But to be safe, is he still eating fine? Does he scavenge in the gravel at all? Anything he could have bitten to hurt himself? My guy likes to hunt around his tank so he will often peck at rocks or glass.

Shibabae

I still can't see anything wrong, might be the coloring playing mind games on you lol.
But to be safe, is he still eating fine? Does he scavenge in the gravel at all? Anything he could have bitten to hurt himself? My guy likes to hunt around his tank so he will often peck at rocks or glass.

He's eating fine but I guess I'm just concerned because he's acting really weird. Tank is barebottom. I have some anacharis floating. Should I medicate just in case or should I just do salt baths? This pic might be a bit better. Might have to zoom in.

FD1756E2-7F0A-45F1-97B0-84FB9226BF56.png

TristanWright

hi! My betta (a 2 year old crowntail who I’ve had since he was a baby) has fungus on his face and a little bit of fun rot. The fungus is very slowly progressive, and the fin rot just popped up on a tiny peice of fin. I started to treat him with methaline blue for the fungus etc. and while he was in the treated hospital tank I did some more snooping on different websites and I found some stated that it would be 10 drops for 10 gallons when others said 10 drops per 1 gallon and some said to do dips and others said to just medicate it constantly. What is the best thing to do for a betta bachelor? Thanks!
-I also heard that it is also possible to apply methaline blue directly to the fish. Is that true?

ValerieAdams

Gypsy13 is a great person to ask if she jumps on here soon

Valleriani

Can you provide some pictures? It will also help identify the issue easier!

TristanWright

Its very hard to see but it’s mainly little white tinted patches on the face which don’t really pick up on camera, I’m almost certain they’re some sort of bacterial fungal problem, although ammonia is a concern because his gills look a little ragged so I tested the ammonia but it was 0.

I realized you can’t see his face at all sorry here’s another photo. His face is very dark sorry

Here’s a better picture

Attachments

• 5A5F1A12-F486-4ACF-8C13-01B178336503.jpeg
    5A5F1A12-F486-4ACF-8C13-01B178336503.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 1535557C-5923-4D07-B211-BC5EF1E0134D.jpeg
    1535557C-5923-4D07-B211-BC5EF1E0134D.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 40

AquaticJ

So, freshwater fish don’t actually get fungal infections. Fungus can, however, start to break down tissue on a fish that’s already dead. Usually the cause of dead tissue is the result of a bacterial infection. However, your pictures are not clear enough to accurately assess what he has going on.

TristanWright

Thanks for the insight AquaticJ! I’m fairly certain that it’s not ich. It’s to flat to really look grain of salt ish and is not very pure white. I guess the best guess would be bacterial infection which matches well with the fun rot. Will methaline blue cute this? Thanks!

This is the best picture I could get. Sorry not great at photography.

Attachments

• 2F391E7D-2D49-4697-BA66-87767B05E189.jpeg
    2F391E7D-2D49-4697-BA66-87767B05E189.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 45

kinsey12345

Okay so I’ve been posting quite a bit about my betta (Walter) because it looks like he developed a fungal infection on his gills. I heard a lot of different things but decided the safest would be to use aquarium salt. I am treating him in his tank (which i also heard quite a few different opinions about) but decided to do it in his tank because i don’t think I have enough time to set up a hospital tank. Also, he is the only inhabitant in his tank besides some live plants (but i’ve read that they are very hardy and if the salt damages them i’m okay with it as long as Walter gets better).

I took out 50% of Walters water and dissolved 1 TBSP of aquarium salt in a separate bucket. When it had dissolved I added it back to the tank in the other 50% of his water (i hope that made sense?). He seems to be acting normally so far but it makes me really nervous to be adding anything to his tank. Am I doing this right so far? Does anyone have any tips?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 g
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 betta fish, 5-6 live plants
Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 20-30%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
i vacuum the substrate once a month

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water?API
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 6.8-7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 6 days a week
How much do you feed your fish? 3 bloodworms once a week, 1/4th a cube of frozen brine shrimp once a week, 2-3 pellets the other 4 days
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Zoo Med
Do you feed frozen? yes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 months (but he was 1-2 years old when i got him)
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 days
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? he developed a cottony growth on his gill that kept getting bigger
Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no, but severely mistreated
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? he seems completely normal, possibly slightly more lethargic

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Fisch

Can you post some pictures. Salt is a good start, and 1tbsp for 5gl is the norm. Now it is just waiting a couple of days and see if the situation improves. IAL may help as well beside the increase in WC

kinsey12345

Can you post some pictures. Salt is a good start, and 1tbsp for 5gl is the norm. Now it is just waiting a couple of days and see if the situation improves. IAL may help as well beside the increase in WC
Hi! I’m pretty knew to fish keeping (Walter was kind of sprung on me- not that I love him any less) but what does IAL and WC mean? Also, I read somewhere that you should do 50% water changes every day and replace the amount of salt water that you take out- (so 1/2 a tbsp with every water change?) Is this true? Or should I just leave it alone for a few days. I attached some pictures- the fuzzy mass on his right gill is kind of hard to see in the pictures, but it fell off this morning.
Hi! I’m pretty knew to fish keeping (Walter was kind of sprung on me- not that I love him any less) but what does IAL and WC mean? Also, I read somewhere that you should do 50% water changes every day and replace the amount of salt water that you take out- (so 1/2 a tbsp with every water change?) Is this true? Or should I just leave it alone for a few days. I attached some pictures- the fuzzy mass on his right gill is kind of hard to see in the pictures, but it fell off this morning.
**new

Attachments

• 67760769-A427-441E-A5E5-EF23DB048456.jpeg
    67760769-A427-441E-A5E5-EF23DB048456.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 0E3C37B9-4DB5-401C-901F-6F3D80C53072.jpeg
    0E3C37B9-4DB5-401C-901F-6F3D80C53072.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 5CCE6929-3728-4172-A914-9428B8188125.jpeg
    5CCE6929-3728-4172-A914-9428B8188125.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 19

JustAFishServant

**new

"IAL" means Indian Almond Leaves. "WC" means water change :)

Edit: Oh, I can see the fungus now. Definitely looks like "general fungus". I've never had a fungus outbreak before (or most diseases for that matter), however, and don't want to provide false information.

Walter looks nice and healthy, if not slightly skinny (I feed 6 pellets twice daily but, then again, my girls have 15 gallons each). I hope someone experienced with fungus comes along! Good luck ;)

kinsey12345

"IAL" means Indian Almond Leaves. "WC" means water change ;)

I can't quite see the "growth" you talk about in the first two pics...do you possibly have a close-up pic of his gills?
Awesome thank you! And here’s a close up, I also circled the lump- does this help? Unfortunately I can’t take any new pictures because it disappeared during the night, and it’s starting to grow back again but not very easy to see.

Attachments

• E8B94F52-F222-4A4B-ADD8-84005A29748E.jpeg
    E8B94F52-F222-4A4B-ADD8-84005A29748E.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 13
  • A24CDD3F-F51A-4CE1-95B4-FE15E448ED0E.jpeg
    A24CDD3F-F51A-4CE1-95B4-FE15E448ED0E.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 13
  • B9BDC286-0903-4ACD-9D58-B524D621E0CA.jpeg
    B9BDC286-0903-4ACD-9D58-B524D621E0CA.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 13

Fisch

Walter looks great. Sorry for the confusion around abbreviations. Indian Almond Leaves provide tannins that are supposed to have healing properties.
Before going down the medication road, as you just started with the salt, you may just use it for a week or so and see where it gets you. I myself am a stickler on water changes when something seems off in the Betta tank. If you pull 2.5gl out of the tank you would replace it with 2.5gl + 1/2 tbsp salt.

kinsey12345

"IAL" means Indian Almond Leaves. "WC" means water change ;)

I can't quite see the "growth" you talk about in the first two pics...do you possibly have a close-up pic of his gills?
Awesome thank you! And here’s a close up, I also circled the lump- does this help? Unfortunately I can’t take any new pictures because it disappeared during the night, and it’s starting to grow back again but not very easy to see.
"IAL" means Indian Almond Leaves. "WC" means water change :)

Edit: Oh, I can see the fungus now. Definitely looks like "general fungus". I've never had a fungus outbreak before (or most diseases for that matter), however, and don't want to provide false information.

Walter looks nice and healthy, if not slightly skinny (I feed 6 pellets twice daily but, then again, my girls have 15 gallons each). I hope someone experienced with fungus comes along! Good luck ;)
Thank you! Is there a guide for what my betta should look like? I’m worried about over feeding, but if he’s looking skinny maybe i’m under feeding?
Walter looks great. Sorry for the confusion around abbreviations. Indian Almond Leaves provide tannins that are supposed to have healing properties.
Before going down the medication road, as you just started with the salt, you may just use it for a week or so and see where it gets you. I myself am a stickler on water changes when something seems off in the Betta tank. If you pull 2.5gl out of the tank you would replace it with 2.5gl + 1/2 tbsp salt.
Thank you so much!!

Fisch

Hard to say if he is underfed, can you get a side or top picture?

kinsey12345

Hard to say if he is underfed, can you get a side or top picture?
Yes! Does this help? I can take some more too

Attachments

• 55326847-A916-4170-ADF7-F240E86EB74F.jpeg
    55326847-A916-4170-ADF7-F240E86EB74F.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 71B008F2-73C9-4FA0-B3F1-947C208B7F13.jpeg
    71B008F2-73C9-4FA0-B3F1-947C208B7F13.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 17
  • 6C4D3352-12FE-4DB0-A640-65A083EC4C8C.jpeg
    6C4D3352-12FE-4DB0-A640-65A083EC4C8C.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 17

Fisch

I have to agree, he is a bit on the skinny side. Increasing the food a bit may also help to increase resistence and stay healthy.

kinsey12345

I have to agree, he is a bit on the skinny side. Increasing the food a bit may also help to increase resistence and stay healthy.
Okay! So his current diet is:
monday: 3-4 bloodworms
tuesday:2-4 pellets
wednesday: 2-4 pellets
thursday: 2-4 pellets
Friday: 1/4 cube brine shrimp
Saturday: 2-4 pellets
Sunday: fast

Should I maybe take out the fast day so he’s getting fed 7 days a week or just increase the number of pellets that he gets?
This is what his stomach looked like a week ago, so i thought he was overweight and getting fed too much and someone told me to feed him less so now i’m worried about over feeding but i don’t want him to be underfed either How do i increase his weight without causing him to bloat so much?

Attachments

• 92C5C0ED-DF69-44C0-8267-A27004610D78.jpeg
    92C5C0ED-DF69-44C0-8267-A27004610D78.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 14

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies