Betta Fungal Infection Help

1. LorenaGR Initiate Member

It appears my betta has a fungal infection. She has two small cottony white patches on her back and the tips of her fins look like they're melting.

I know I need to treat her and am expecting API's Fungal Cure to arrive in about a week. She has a nerite snail as a tankmate and an anubias nana. I have two questions:

1) Should I treat the whole tank? I have not seen weird stuff on the snail or the plant, but I'm scared they may also be infected.

2) Is there anything I can do to treat fungus while I wait for her medicine? I have been doing 25% water changes every other day to improve water quality but I wonder if I could be doing more.

Thank you.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Stop doing the water changes that is stressing out the fish, and it won't make the infection go away. And yes treat the whole tank, the plant and snail can't get infected like that but they can harbor the desese and give it to the Betta again. Also get something NOW, I know they are super pricy at Petsmart and Petco but I Bettas can't survive long untreated and I have never seen a fish survive for more than 5 days untreated

3. LorenaGR Initiate Member

Thank you. I will try to get something faster. Do you recommend any other medicine? Will aquarium salt help?

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

API is good because they are safe for snails, just get anything by API that says it good for fungus. Salt will help short term

5. LorenaGR Initiate Member

Got it. One last question. I am in the process of cycling a 10G for her (she's currently in a 3G), and since it is a fishless cycle I still have a couple of weeks to go.

Once she gets better and the tank is ready, are there any precautions I should take for this tank? I am not transferring anything else (snail, plant, and deco are staying in 3G), but I'm afraid the stress of the move may cause a new outbreak?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm an overly anxious beginner.

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

what I like to do when I move fish over is take quite a bit of the old water and put it in the new tank. I would also wait till a week after she's cured. Oh and make sure to get something that cures fin rot.

7. LorenaGR Initiate Member

Awesome, thank you very much!

8. Briggs Well Known Member Member

Are you sure it's fungal? Can you post pictures? White cottony patches could also be Columnaris, which is bacterial and aggressive, and Fungal Cure won't do much for it. Is the fin damage in a spot with the cotton? If not, that sounds like fin rot and it's probably a separate issue. Is the tank she's in now cycled?

If it is a fungal infection and you treat with fungal cure, take out the plant or treat your betta a hospital tank. I don't think it'll bother the snail, but it isn't going to do the Anubias any good.

25% water changes if done correctly will not stress out the fish. Also, in my experience Petsmart and Petso carry very little real medication. LFS or online is a better bet.

9. LorenaGR Initiate Member

20170711_100146.jpg 20170711_100400.jpg 20170711_100146.jpg 20170711_100400.jpg
    Oh no! I am not sure if it is Columnaris! :( I am attaching some pictures, she's fast so they're blurry. The fin damage is at the tips of her fins, no cottony patches there. Which medicine would you suggest for Columnaris and fin rot? I went to Petsmart and they had zero medicine aside from General Cure and stuff for Ick, but there's also a Petco I could go to.

The tank was cycled, but I think I threw it off when I introduced the snail. My betta has been in that tank for almost two years now with a heater and a small filter, about 8 months ago I introduced the Anubias and some Hairgrass (at the time I didn't know I had to quarintine anything, so I didn't). The plants started to produce algae and about three months ago I introduced the snail (did not quarentine either). Turns out the snail produces A LOT of waste, and I started seeing spikes in ammonia.

I've since removed hairgrass and increased water changes but I'm pretty sure this is why the infection appeared.

Also, it has been slowly growing from specs to patches. At first I thought it was Ick, and so I treated for that. It looked like it was going away but then it started spreading (this is her second week like this), I noticed her fins yesterday. She's been really active and eats normally, it's just those patches and her fins.

If I leave the anubias untreated, is there any risk of it infecting the betta again if it os reintroduced? Would it be okay if I put it in the tank that I'm currently cycling?

10. Briggs Well Known Member Member

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures. It's good that she's still acting normal, though! Here is a trick for getting a good shot of a fast fish: take a video and then pause and screenshot when she's in focus. It's really the only way I can get anything other than a blue blur when I take pictures of my halfmoon.

I'm going to call in @CindiL to see if she can help you diagnose. Here is a good write up she did on Columnaris: Columnaris Symptoms And Treatment There is a chance it could still be fungal, though.

You should be able to just rinse the anubias off really well or do a bleach or hydrogen peroxide dip to disinfect it and it'll be fine. Any contaminates it's carrying should be on the surface of the plant. I can't think of much that will infect both a plant and a fish. Most of the time when we quarantine plants, it's to keep things like pest snails and algae out of our tanks. Once it's clean it'll be perfectly happy in the cycling tank. Plants tend to thrive in tanks with lots of nitrogen compounds in the water that would be toxic to your fish, so it'll probably enjoy it while it lasts!