Betta fry separation

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello everyone! I FINALLY got a pair of bettas to spawn and the eggs just hatched this morning. I know that once the males start to get aggressive, I will need to separate them. I was wondering what you guys thought of this idea for separating them:

Put the males in water bottles or plastic containers of sorts, poke holes in the bottles and put them all in a 20 gallon long tank so that water can flow through all of the bottles and not become stagnant. I will use air pumps and/or sponge filters in between some of the bottles to ensure water flow. This way I can also just put a heater in the tank and the water will stay warm for them rather than heating individual tanks or having to heat the whole room.

If the females don’t fight, I will keep them together until they are old enough to sell.

If anybody has experience with this and separated their fry a different way then I would love to hear how you did it! I appreciate any ideas or thoughts regarding this topic. Thank you in advance!

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wait did you breed wild bettas or bettas from farms? That may tell wether you need to separate the bettas?
They’re crowntail bettas that I got from a breeder, so not wild. Just betta splendens (like what you would find in a pet store)

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since bred bettas are more aggressive than wild caught your current plan is probably best. Separate the males and the females that are aggressive.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom