Betta Fry Growth Rate

HannibalXavier

Active Member
Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
55
Just some questions for you smaller scale/ hobby betta breeders. How long does it normally take for you to grow your fry to a sellable size? And at what size did you decide to sell them? I know most online breeders have their fry grown and sold at 3-4 months old. But I’m assuming that is a much larger scale operation considering it’s how they make their livelihood. I’m raising them in my basement for the enjoyment of caring for them and the ability to make a little bit of extra money on the side. So I’m not in anyway expecting them to grow at that rate necessarily, but I’m curious about your guys experiences with raising betta fish as more of a hobby rather than a job. Also any tips? I’ve got more than enough time right now to fool around with the set up since my state is in Quarantine right now, gotta find something to keep me sane. :D
 

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
1,351
Experience
4 years
This was a chart that I put together based on information I found online:
1585071367529.png

This was for my babies, hence the dates. My babies got quite a bit behind, and I eventually figured out why. Similar to goldfish, they secrete growth inhibiting hormones that will build up in the water. After I learned this, I started doing daily 50% water changes and their growth rate shot back up. :D (I don't have a record of their actual growth rate, unfortunately)
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,673
Reaction score
4,611
Experience
5 to 10 years
My average is ~4-5 months before they are a good size. Larger females are capable of breeding but I don’t think I’d breed my males at the same age.

The only tips I have is lots if water changes and always keep food in their bellies. If you want maximum turn out then separate the sizes as they grow so the runts aren’t being outcompeted for food. Also, always cull fry that aren’t up to standard, any with spinal deformities, ones that just won’t grow, etc.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
HannibalXavier

HannibalXavier

Active Member
Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
55
Dewclaw83 said:
This was a chart that I put together based on information I found online:
1585071367529.png

This was for my babies, hence the dates. My babies got quite a bit behind, and I eventually figured out why. Similar to goldfish, they secrete growth inhibiting hormones that will build up in the water. After I learned this, I started doing daily 50% water changes and their growth rate shot back up. :D (I don't have a record of their actual growth rate, unfortunately)
Interesting. What did you/are you raising your fry in? I have all my females and some smaller chill males hangin out in a 29 gallon with some KuhlI loaches and snails and I’ve got 14 separated jarred males. My fry as of now are about to be 4 months old and are about 1.7-2.2inches (rough estimate)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
HannibalXavier

HannibalXavier

Active Member
Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
55
Demeter said:
My average is ~4-5 months before they are a good size. Larger females are capable of breeding but I don’t think I’d breed my males at the same age.

The only tips I have is lots if water changes and always keep food in their bellies. If you want maximum turn out then separate the sizes as they grow so the runts aren’t being outcompeted for food. Also, always cull fry that aren’t up to standard, any with spinal deformities, ones that just won’t grow, etc.
All my females are cellophane/getting their koI patterns and I can already see they’re full of eggs!
 

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,981
Reaction score
4,295
Location
Netherlands
If you want to power-grow some, put them in 1/2 gallon containers in a temperature controlled space and do daily 90% water changes coupled with feeding 2-3 times a day protein-rich live foods mixed with good quality betta pellets. I know there are doubts scientifically about the existence of those growth hormones but in practice something like that 100% exists.
This way they reach good sale size after about 4 months. If I continue to grow out in a community tank it takes about 6 months before they reach that size that borders between adolescent and adult.

Larger community tanks also help though. A 29 is a really good size for fast growth unless you have an unusually large batch.
 

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
1,351
Experience
4 years
HannibalXavier said:
Interesting. What did you/are you raising your fry in? I have all my females and some smaller chill males hangin out in a 29 gallon with some KuhlI loaches and snails and I’ve got 14 separated jarred males. My fry as of now are about to be 4 months old and are about 1.7-2.2inches (rough estimate)
I had them in a 10 gal for a little while, then a 20, now most are in a 29 with some neon tetras

Demeter said:
My average is ~4-5 months before they are a good size. Larger females are capable of breeding but I don’t think I’d breed my males at the same age.

The only tips I have is lots if water changes and always keep food in their bellies. If you want maximum turn out then separate the sizes as they grow so the runts aren’t being outcompeted for food. Also, always cull fry that aren’t up to standard, any with spinal deformities, ones that just won’t grow, etc.
I mean, you don't have to cull them... I love my tailless boy, and he gets around just fine :p
1585072858933.png

(Edit: also, fyi, this is an older pic of him. He's grown a lot more, but his tail has always been that little nub and the analfin has grown up even more where the tail is supposed to be. His dorsal fin and ventral fins are also stunted... I'm guessing it's some kind of genetic deformity related to fin development)
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,673
Reaction score
4,611
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
I had them in a 10 gal for a little while, then a 20, now most are in a 29 with some neon tetras


I mean, you don't have to cull them... I love my tailless boy, and he gets around just fine :p
1585072858933.png
If I didn't cull some fry here and there I'd be left with far too half sized runts and many deformed adult fish that I can't get off my hands. I'd much rather cull these fish when their young so they don't have to live in small containers till they die. I usually feed these culls to my axolotl after culling so no waste there. That being said, I have kept a few special cases, sadly because of their deformities they didn't live the average life span :(
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
199
Guests online
2,744
Total visitors
2,943

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom