Betta Fry Eating Each Other

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do betta fry eat each other?
I saw one of my bigger betta fry eat a smaller one of my betta fry, they are just 3 weeks old and yes a few are bigger than the many smaller ones. I do feed all my fry Brine Shrimp and on time, but I don't understand why my betta fry ( the bigger ones ) would eat the smaller fry .. Also I want to mention that one of the bigger betta fry have ate 2 of the smaller betta fry ..
What I want to know is should I transfer the bigger betta fry to my 20 gallon tank immediately ? Do want to say that again they are all 3 weeks old and I know transferring fry at that age would shock them and cause them to die, inform me on what should I do at this time ... I have done all my parameter checks, did the nitrogen cycle in my20 gallon tank and have 4 emergency quarantine tanks that are 3 gallons on standby .. PLEASE HELP ME !! This is my first time just noticing this happening since I've been breeding ...

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Big fish eat little fish, it's in their nature. This is why when fry start becoming notably larger than their siblings they are separated into another tank. It is not unusual to have 2-3 different tanks filled with 2-3 different sized fry from the same batch, no mater what species you are breeding.

As to why they are growing at such different rates, it is possible the smaller fry were never able to find enough small food so they simply can't grow very fast. BBS is often too large for some betta fry to eat right after becoming free swimming. It's a good idea to feed a variety of live foods so there's enough for all the fry to get. I usually feed micro worms with BBS until I'm sure all fry are large enough to eat BBS. Another thing is water changes, fry need lots of frequent water changes so they are all kept close to the same growth rate. It may be time to start doing daily water changes and separate out the larger fry into another growout tank.

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 4 emergency ( quarantine ) tanks which 2 of them are occupied by my breeding pair of betta which are still recovering from the breeding process. Now I have two free tanks ..
I do feed all of them BBS which is still going and a culture of micro worms too .. I have never tried daphnia and infusoria cause I was told BBS would be the best feed to give them and secondly would be micro worms ..
I'm just unsure on whether I can move the bigger betta fry from the tank with the small ones since they are only 3 weeks old and I'm afraid to shock them .. I need some validation that I can and that it would be safe to do so please .. Thank you.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are using the same water source and the temps are the same then it should be fine to move them. Perhaps do a drip acclimation for an hour or so and gently put them in. 3 weeks a bit young but I don't think it's too young.

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Demeter said:
Big fish eat little fish, it's in their nature. This is why when fry start becoming notably larger than their siblings they are separated into another tank. It is not unusual to have 2-3 different tanks filled with 2-3 different sized fry from the same batch, no mater what species you are breeding.

As to why they are growing at such different rates, it is possible the smaller fry were never able to find enough small food so they simply can't grow very fast. BBS is often too large for some betta fry to eat right after becoming free swimming. It's a good idea to feed a variety of live foods so there's enough for all the fry to get. I usually feed micro worms with BBS until I'm sure all fry are large enough to eat BBS. Another thing is water changes, fry need lots of frequent water changes so they are all kept close to the same growth rate. It may be time to start doing daily water changes and separate out the larger fry into another growout tank.
I just started doing the water changes and will do about 10 - 20% water change .. Just to suck up some of the debris and waste from the bottom of the tank ..

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Demeter said:
If you are using the same water source and the temps are the same then it should be fine to move them. Perhaps do a drip acclimation for an hour or so and gently put them in. 3 weeks a bit young but I don't think it's too young.
Okay I will go by your words .. I'm putting them in my 20 gallon tank .. I just hope when its feeding time then find the BBS and micro worms .. Also I appreciate the help so much .. I never had my bettas done this before .. By the way I'm starting a new pair next month so I will use this information to the best of my abilities ...
Nevertheless should I siphon them out when the are acclimated or should I pour them into the 20 gal tank ??
Thank you in advance ..

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think pouring them in is safer than using a net or siphon. Use a siphon to take them out of the old tank though, or use a cup.

New Threads