Betta fry diet

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
so I have betta fry that are 4.5 months old!!! wow I didnt realize it has been that long. so I have fed baby brine shrimp 3 times a day every day. yesterday I put a pleco in and I put one of his pellets in (for him) and instead the bettas were all over it!!! I never wouldve thought they wouldve liked it. what else should I feed them?

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fighter fry that age will eat baby brine shrimp and micro worms and finely crushed flake food and black worms

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
johnbetta said:
fighter fry that age will eat baby brine shrimp and micro worms and finely crushed flake food and black worms
fighter fry? and I have never fed a betta flakes!!! only pellets bbs and frozen bloodworms would they take like tetra flakes???

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
4.5 months old is plenty old enough to transitsion them to dry foods. My 1 month old fry are finally accepting HikarI first bites and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs along with live BBS. My slightly older fry getting BBS, grindal worms and HikarI fancy guppy micro pellets. Fluval bug bites for small fish will be next for my betta fry.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
Demeter said:
4.5 months old is plenty old enough to transitsion them to dry foods. My 1 month old fry are finally accepting HikarI first bites and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs along with live BBS. My slightly older fry getting BBS, grindal worms and HikarI fancy guppy micro pellets. Fluval bug bites for small fish will be next for my betta fry.
thanks!!! how do u do live bbs? like how do u know how many to hatchVv

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
idkausernamesoyeah said:
thanks!!! how do u do live bbs? like how do u know how many to hatchVv
I just guess. I try to get enough to last about 4 days and when it looks like I've only got a few feedings left I'll start the next batch. After separating the BBS from the empty shells you can put them in the fridge, just make sure you keep them in salt water as they won't stay alive for very long in fresh. I've had BBS stay alive for ~4 days in the fridge this way.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I feed then everything and anything - you never know what their next owners are going to have on hand, and varying their diet is good anyways. Betta pellets (I have some pellets for nano fish from Hikari), betta flakes (yes they sell these), daphnia, bloodworms, brine shrimp (all three frozen and freeze dried). Just, everything honestly

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
Dewclaw83 said:
I feed then everything and anything - you never know what their next owners are going to have on hand, and varying their diet is good anyways. Betta pellets (I have some pellets for nano fish from Hikari), betta flakes (yes they sell these), daphnia, bloodworms, brine shrimp (all three frozen and freeze dried). Just, everything honestly
oh awesome thanks for the tips

fishouttawater

Reaction score
I start feeding dry food from about 5 weeks and have found crushed up vibra bites are the easiest to ween them with.once they eat that then it's easy to get them to eat just about anything they can fit in their mouth.

New Threads