Betta Friends?

Aricafeesh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello! just wondering if there are any species that can live happily with betta. Other fish? shrimp? Anything!? Thanks

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 20+ gallon tank you could try glowlight tetras and cories thats what i have with my girls. Ghost shrimp didnt last more than 6 months till they were all eaten. Oh i have bladder and trumpet snails to.

Aricafeesh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
darn, I was hoping ghost shrimp would be a go haha. So you keep more than one betta happily in the same tank?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With girls it's a big maybe. Lol. Recommended atleast a 20 gallon heavily plants with atleast 5 girls.
I currently have 14 in a heavily planted 75 gallon. With cories and glowlight tetras.

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have had my bettas in tanks with usually bottom dwellers.
Ghost shrimp can Ben easily kept, but just remember they don’t have a big life span.

I had my old guy with Kuhli Loach, and Clown Pleco, and he some times let fish be in there.
Some times he would boss the fish around, but when he started growing old, he didn’t really care..

I would not recommend any sororities with beginners, they are hard to pull off picking the right bettas, and having the right tanks setup.
I would never recommend keeping males together either, unless they are divided.

For now just start off with some simple bottom dwellers. Sterbai, or bronze corydora could be okay, or Kuhli Loach.
Only problem is that Cory are very active, and swim at the middle of the tank a lot and can get on the bettas nerve.

I really love my Kuhlis with my bettas.

CrazyScienceTeacher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta is in with 5 corydoras, 4 but soon to be 9 neon tetras, a huge mystery snail, and bladder snails. They each have their own food, but all of my fish love the cory’s shrimp pellets. I’ve been amazed watching all of the species eat together. My betta will occasionally flare when this happens, but he’s never hurt anyone. It truly depends on their temperament.

I’ve also heard of situations like mine turning into a blood bath overnight. It’s typically easier to introduce a betta into another’s tank instead of the other way around, so dominance isn’t an issue. Having plants and places to hide helps too. I uploaded a picture of my tank from a while ago. I don’t have any good recent pictures.

Attachments

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I keep my Betta with a few mystery snails in a 20H they do great together, but it definitely depends on the temperament of the individual Betta. Always add the Betta to the tank last, like mentioned above, for territorial reasons. (Other inhabitants in the tank first... if he is in the tank, & you want to add other inhabitants, remove the Betta, rearrange the tank, add other inhabitants, then add the Betta last) And keep an eye on your Bettas behavior towards the others, so you can remove them if need be, for their safety (because it can, and sometimes does, turn into a blood bath at the drop of a hat).

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My betta is in with 5 corydoras, 4 but soon to be 9 neon tetras, a huge mystery snail, and bladder snails. They each have their own food, but all of my fish love the cory’s shrimp pellets. I’ve been amazed watching all of the species eat together. My betta will occasionally flare when this happens, but he’s never hurt anyone. It truly depends on their temperament.

I’ve also heard of situations like mine turning into a blood bath overnight. It’s typically easier to introduce a betta into another’s tank instead of the other way around, so dominance isn’t an issue. Having plants and places to hide helps too. I uploaded a picture of my tank from a while ago. I don’t have any good recent pictures.
Neons aren't the most temperature compatible with a betta.
Neons like cooler water.

Hubble Tea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello! just wondering if there are any species that can live happily with betta. Other fish? shrimp? Anything!? Thanks
Betta fish can live fish with other livestock! they just have to be...
-non aggressive
-not colorful
-small
-schooling or good at getting away from danger
-same requirements

it really depends on the betta though! I once had a betta ( RIP prince charming ) who couldnt have anything but himself in his tank, even SNAILS. He would even eat the snail eggs! Most bettas do fine with shrimp, snails, sometimes other fish, ect. but just keep in mind there is no garuntee.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom