betta friends

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by gammerus, Mar 29, 2006.

1. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

what are some fish that get alot well with bettas..the fish chart is too vague. would a betta get along with fancy guppys? I know someone sais yes to guppies...but fancy ones do look sorta like bettas

2. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Tried this one?

From what I gather--and there are others more expert than me here--Bettas take some time to adjust and may be hostile to other fish initially, at particular times or under particular circumstances. For instance mine now and then chases the corys but not obsessively like a tiger barb would. It's only when he gets too obsessive that I get concerned and do something to get his attention, but that just happens when he's been displaying and another fish has disturbed him unexpectedly.

3. sliderNew MemberMember

My betta and corys get along great, at first he would flare at them if they got too close to him, but now it looks like he thinks he's one of them........he's allways hanging out with them and even eats the little bottom feeder tablets with the corys!!

Each betta is an individual.....some will get along with tankmates, some will not :-\

4. NeenNew MemberMember

I had guppies in with my Betta & they got along fine. I think it really depends on the Betta. When I would add fish with my Betta, I would rearrange things in the tank & then it was a new territory for all of them. I think my Betta liked having the company. ;D Gina

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Of course each Betta has a different personality, and a few will get along with any fish, while some others will attack any other fish they see. Bettas and Guppies are not conpatible--the Betta is likely to think the Guppy is another Betta, and that means bye-bye Guppy. It may have worked for Neen aka Gina, but her Betta was the rare exception. With Bettas it is best to play it safe or risk ending up with dead fish. Most--not all, but most--Bettas will get along with small catfish such as Cories and Otos. I have heard reports of Bettas getting along with a shoal of tetras, but there is always the chance of the tetras nipping at the Betta constantly. Remember that the Betta is just as bad off in the majority of community tanks--while he may act aggressively towards some of the fish, all the others will probably be constantly nipping his irresistable finnage, causing him much stress and possibly death.

I have been assuming that the Betta we are talking about is a male, but with a female it is much different. They can get along with other female Bettas as well as quite a few other fish, although precautions still should be taken. Like, add them last of all the fish and make sure there are plenty of hiding places to get away from each other. And remember that females still do have relatively long fins, so don't keep them with fish that are notorious for fin-nipping like Tiger Barbs.

Another thing to keep in mind is the requirements of Bettas. For example, if you have a tank with a powerful filter outflow and lots of current, it may be great for tetras and cats, but would be highly stressful for a Betta. And very active fish might disturb the Betta, even if they are totally peaceful.

Well, I hope this helps. :)

6. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Omorrokh is right, fancy guppies and bettas are definitely not compatibile.

Rose
    :)

7. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

8. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

gouramis and bettas should not be kept together. Bettas cant be with anthing with long fins, as they will take it for another betta. Plus the gouramis will get way too big for the 10 gal. You cant even have 1 dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon, let alone 1 pearl :-\

9. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I had a betta in a 20 gal. long with 3 buenos aires tetras, 5 cory cats, and 4 yo yo loaches. I didn't think it would work our with the tetras and and betta in the same tank. They were nipping him within minutes of placing him in the tank. Then the next day I watched, and they weren't going near him. Anytime he thought they were sneaking up on him, he would turn, face them, and dare them to come closer. I would not recommend the buenos aires tetras for a tank with a betta. They are like tiger barbs. I think I just got lucky. Maybe something like blood fin tetras would be a better choice. They seem pretty calm. You are just so limited in a 10 gal. tank. But your betta is soooooooo lucky to have that much space to swim in. You will see a major change in his behavior when he's in that tank. He will swim so much more than you would ever expect from a betta!

10. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

the first tank he was ever in was a 10gal. it had some platys and mollys.. but my brother took the tank with him when he moved. we put the fish in our big 40gal. I decided to let my betta have a trial in the tank with the other fish. it was soo big and it was deffinetly understocked..but he spent all his days hiding after some of the fish went after his tail.
    I have had mollys and platys since my first fishtank and I never really cared for them, so I would rather have some more interesting fish.

11. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Bettas and Gouramis are related so they never get along but they do get along with danios and platys and cories. In fact they aren't all that hard to find friends for as long as you don't put anything in with long fins and those that are fin nippers. They do like otos, but are very curious about what they do. I would put the otos in first though. It seems that Bettas do better if they don't have their territory staked out first.

Rose

12. vinWell Known MemberMember

Emma, you can certainly house a pair of dwarf gouramis in a 10 gallon tank......Being labyrinth fish, they take less oxygen from the water and space for two in a 10g certainly wouldn't be an issue since they only get to be about 2" long as adults.

13. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, Dwarf Gouramis are fine in a 10g, but almost all other gouramis are much too big--including Pearls.

14. mistycheriValued MemberMember

My female beta gets along well with my two male guppies, but for some reason she chases the male orange platy I have. She totally ignores the corys, and now and then chases the two black mollies, but I think they started it. ;D

15. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

oh hehe somebody said not to put dwarfs in a 10 gal...hmm maybe it was somewhere else

16. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

hmm there must be something interesting other than snails and shrimp for a 10gal...

17. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Most Bettas will get along with catfish. You could try a small shoal of Cories or Otos with one.

18. vinWell Known MemberMember

Exactly. Unless they are dwarf or pygmys, the other species of gourami reach upwards of 4" or more. Way too large for a 10g.

19. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

hmm..I dont care for any of those fish too much...hmm maybe some black mollys...I want a look of variety. some fish that dwell on the top, some in the bottom and some snails for everything else

20. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

As far as the Gouramis go it doesn't make any difference because if you are looking for "betta tank mates" - they won't do. They are related and it isn't "kissing cousins".

Rose

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice