Betta Friend Suggestions Question

1. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I skimmed the first two page and did not see a topic on this. Though probably been asked before so forgive me. Using my phone so it makes skimming and reading hard sometimes. Anyways the topic says it all but here are some specs.

5g bowfront currently one betta fake plants (changing for real) driftwood. I have been having some algea problems so I am looking for a companion fish that will help keep the problem down.

Tried Mystery Snail and was not happy with the outcome. Not from the betta he pretty much ignored it after the first few days. But it went dormant after the first few weeks and then died. All my specs were normal and such. The betta was ignoring it so not cause there I kept a careful watch on it. No heavy metals in my water. Probably something to do with when it was in the lfs tanks or a fluke.

Anyways, I was considering shrimp. Cherry or ghost. But was wondering of other thoughts/suggestions and experiences.

2. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

other suggestions on companions are welcome too as well. The tank has been set up about eight or nine months and is fully cycled. Water changes are preformed weekly though on an rare occasion I might skip a week if busy but that does not happen too often.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A 5 gallon is too small for any algae eating fish & really you should try & find out what's causing the algae first.
    Reduce the amount of time the lights are on, if it's getting direct sunlight move it or shade it, cut down the amount of food you're giving the Betta, do extra gravel vacs to remove any uneaten food & do extra water changes to keep the nitrate & phosphate levels as low as possible, adding live plants can help out compete the algae for food.
    If all that fails you could try a nerite snail as they're great algae eaters but what goes in has to come out & they do poop rather a lot.

4. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

lights are on only about eight - nine hours a day. Don't think that is a cause. My betta gets 3-4 bloodworms once a day he always eats them all. It could be my window as my bedroom is small but the tanks not next to the window, and I have curtains. Weekly water changes are dine along with regular glass scraping it just keeps coming back. Working with the plants.

so that's why hence the topic.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

1 nerite snail would do the trick. Get 2 in case 1 passes. I've had 70% survival rate with them. They need to be rolled right side up if they get stuck upside down.

6. renthus Well Known Member Member

I'm starting to think we need a "Betta Tankmates" sticky...

Your options are ADFs (which are a pain to feed) and/or nerites, in this case.

7. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Sorry, did not seem to bite earlier I am at a internet hotspot right now and am looking into it some more. I did the basic check of things is what I meant originally. Thanks for the suggestions that were given I will look for them in more detail/ research them.

It can be hard to research on my cell phone since it only has a 5" screen and slow connection.

Speaking of phosphates though, I change my Carbon regularly once a month, to month in a half as i says 4-6 weeks could that be what could be causing my algea problems I usually do it once a month but have been known to go an extra week or two if I need to go out an buy them.

Any Experience?

Please don't say I don't need Carbon, I have a person staying with me with bad Asama and COPD the carbon is a precaution to make sure no smells come from the tank, not that there is any I clean regularly but it is just a precaution.

8. Araielle Initiate Member

Honestly, I wouldn't let a bad experience with your first snail ruin the snail idea. A five gallon tank is really too small for any other tank mates except for a snail. As far as mystery snails, see if the fish store folks can fish out the smallest one for you. You may have just gotten an old snail is all. Always be sure to quarantine before adding to your tank. I think the live plant idea is fantastic. I always recommend it. :) You can try shrimp. Ghost shrimp seem rather easy to come by and pretty cheap to start off. I'd only get a couple for a tank your size & you will need a hide for them that the betta can't get under/into & something he won't get stuck in as well. Shrimp are fun, however, I really recommend trying another snail. Another mystery snail or a nerite. :) My male veiltale betta really enjoys his nerite.

9. stargazerwolf Member Member

I'd also say a nerite snail :) I have 2 in my 10gal with a betta and red cherry shrimp. They are doing well, the betta leaves all alone, I have quite a few plants in there and some driftwood and a fake rock cave.

10. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Alright. I will look and see what the pet store has this weekend. They usually get their shipment in on Monday. So I figured Saturday would be the ideal day.