Betta Food

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would increase the epsom salts dosage to 1/8 teaspoon per gallon to help with the problem.  The dosage used for constipation is generally 1/4 teaspoon per gallon but just to lessen the amount of fluid in the body cavity I think half strength should do.  Just be sure to dissolve it in some tank water before you add it to the tank.  The bettas are so curious they could try to eat the undissolved salt.

Rose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
The bloating seems to have started to go away a little bit, but he's still in very rough shape. His scales look like they are standing on end like a mad dog's fur, and he's just sitting at the bottom of the tank hiding under the plants.

I'm really not sure what to think.

Edit: (No point in making a new post)

I've gotten a few worms in him tonight, but when I was pretty much handfeeding him with a pair of tweezers now that he was floating, I noticed his right eye is much larger than his left. It seems like all the bloating is leaned towards his right side. Is this normal for dropsy?

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how Atlantis is doing... he still looks terrible, nothing has changed as far as that's concerned, but he seems to be a little more mobile today, which I think is a good sign. He's ate a little bit as well.

I'm not sure where it's come from, but there's a nasty slime on top of the water, I've been clearing it off for him to be able to breathe but it keeps forming. It's almost like a cloud of some kind.

Sadly though I've been so focused on Atlantis and other things going on that I went a little slack with Comet, the ammonia in his tank spiked and he died this afternoon. This is not a very good week

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, no another place that I posted to that the post did not take yesterday...

I am so sorry about Comet, but please realize that you did nothing wrong. We all have times when things become overwhelming and things do not get done. It is not a fault but a human thing. You have been under a lot of stress and did the best you could.

We will miss the updates on the little one and I send my deepest sympathies. If there is anything I can do please let me know.

Rose
:'(

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rose, but you don't need to worry - This isn't going to prevent me from getting my niece into fishkeeping. The pet store has a good sale on those tanks I was looking at, 50% off. I'm likely going to get her one, get it all cycled for her and then surprise her with it.

I'll miss Comet's spunky attitude, he was always a thrill to watch.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom