Betta Food

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up before, and it likely has so I'm sorry for asking this...

I've been feeding Atlantis about 5 bloodworms daily, what can I mix this up with? I've tried pellets but he just sticks his nose up to them.

I'm not sure if this would have much to do with it, but lately he's been spending some time just laying at the bottom of the tank. Mind you when I walk up to him he perks right up... is this much to worry about or is he just missing me when I'm 6 feet across the room?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is not getting enough to eat, I am sorry to say. For bloodworm meals, they should get 6-7 bloodworms TWICE a day. They do not need much variety in their meals and most bettas do very well on one food as they tend to be picky eaters and really like what they like and not much else. Most of my little ones will eat one thing and that only. If they eat pellets, they will not touch bloodworms and vice versa. It is kind of nice when you have one who will eat both but it does not happen often. You can forget most flake foods, their mouths are just not made for it. Freeze-dried brine shrimp can be a meal for a couple times a week but no more as they are rich but not very nutritious and the bettas do not get enough food value from them. (and mine won't touch them)

It really is not a joke but true that I am surprised that betta owners do not go broke finding foods that they will eat. I have tried all kinds of foods but the frozen kind as I am not willing to try something that expensive and have it rejected. I have 3 on freeze-dried bloodworms and they love them, the other one is a baby yet and won't touch them ~ he eats Atison's Betta Pro pellets and snarfs them up as fast as they hit the water. The others will eat the pellets OCCASIONALLY but you have to be careful as the digestive system of the betta is very touchy. Do not overfeed any type of food or you will have a sick fish.

As far as pellets go, there are really very few pellets that are small enough to fit in their mouths. It is so strange that most products labeled for bettas are too big for them to eat. I have only found two brands that My Fish will eat and are small enough for them to get the whole pellet in their mouth. (Hikari Betta Bio-gold Pellets ~ available almost everywhere; and Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Pro and Atison's Betta Formula ~ not as readily available but worth the search especially if your betta is young)

Rose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that after about 5 worms he stops eating, he'll look at it and swim away. I've tried feeding a second time a day, but he won't eat anything.

I'm actually having that problem right now as he won't eat the worms that I've dropped in... he's a pain in the rear. :-\

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know they aren't supposed to really have them but mine enjoys finely crushed veggie and tropical flakes along with omega one gourmet pellets. Some of the pellets I have to cut up, some I don't.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Atlantis still doesn't seem too interested in eating today. I hope he's not bunged up or anything... what could his problem be? He just kinda stares at the worms but doesn't take a bite, he just swims away.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, no. I hope Atlantis is okay. That is what I first noticed about Bessie when she got sick. She did not seem to want to eat. I hope there isn't some kind of new Betta disease that they are all getting. It seems odd that 3 bettas would get the same thing at the same time. Also, it doesn't seem like Atlantis would be constipated since you haven't been feeding him that much. Hopefully we will get this figured out soon.

CherryRose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah he's just been hanging out at the bottom of the tank today, comes up for air and then goes back down. He perks up when I go near the tank but he still won't eat. I try talking to him and everything but he just doesn't seem to interested in much of anything.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It's the same with Bessie. I hope we get this figured out soon.

CherryRose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could a large water change and a tank rescape put them in a better mood???????

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I did an 80% water change and moved Bessie into a floating container and she is still exhibiting the same symptoms. I will do a 25% water change again today as per medication instructions. Of course, she might not even have the same thing wrong with her that Atlantis has. It does seem strange that they have the same symptoms though.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are the water parameters? Could it be that the city water supply is having a problem, I lost a betta one time for that reason. Also, what temperature is the water? You could try to raise the temperature a degree or two unless it is already at 82. Check the heater function with a thermometer, your heater could be faulty.

I do not know that any of these things are the problems, just throwing out suggestions.

Rose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
The water is fine, and temperature is at 81F. I know it's likely not relevant, but Comet (the goldfish), is doing just fine in his tank. They both had 50% water changes today (the goldfish has no filter yet, so he's been getting lots of water changes) but Atlantis hasn't taken to anything I've done for him.

I wouldn't even know what medication to get him because I've got no clue what the problem is

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well the Maracyn family of Maracyn, Maracyn2 and MarOxy is a great combination and covers almost everything under the sun until you need a serious heavy hitter. MarOxy is for fungal infections if I am remembering correctly so I think we can put that on the shelf for this one and the other 2 can be used together if you can swing it. I would use the other two together for the course of treatment and see if you can get it nipped in the bud. If it was finrot, I would say go with Maracyn 2 and if it was definitely a bacterial infection of some known type I would say Maracyn, but with this type of thing; I would go with both of them.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers and I do hope he improves.

Rose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got your email, Rose, thanks. I'm going to run to the store to see what I can get for him. His scales are looking pine-coney from all angles, so I think it's the same thing as Bessie and Royell. Although I finally got him to eat something, he ate one worm and is looks like he is deciding on taking another one right now.

Ever since I got home though he's been floating around the top, but when he's at the bottom he's pretty much doing a nose-dive into the gravel. He seems to have gotten a little fatter too.

After supper I'm running to the store to get him something.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that your Atlantis was better. I sure hope it's not the same thing Bessie and Royell have. Our poor little fish. Come on Atlantis...you can do it. Please get better. Hang in there Asinity. We are all rooting for both of you.

CherryRose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got him some Maracyn-Two and dropped one in the tank at 8:30 tonight. I did a water test today, but unfortunately I ran out of Nitrite tests, (that's what I get for getting previously used tests), I didn't have much of any left, but I got some readings, Ammonia was at 0, and Nitrate was floating at 25 or so. I ended up getting new Ammonia and Nitrate tests 50% off, unfortunately they were out of Nitrite so I've gotta go back on Thursday in hopes of finding some.

After examining Atlantis a little closer, the bloating is only towards his right side, which I find kind of odd. His scales are standing on end a little more than they were earlier in the day and he seems to be having some trouble staying afloat at the top of the tank, he just kinda sinks down.

I'm hoping that the Maracyn-Two works and isn't too late...

While I was at the store I also got the goldfish an Elite Stingray5 filter for the 2.5, I've been meaning to get him one but I didn't have the money.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just got home and had a look at Atlantis, and it looks like the bloating has gotten even worse than yesterday. He's barely moving now and slow to breathe.

I think I was too late :'(

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have any Epsom salt or Aquarium salt? If you do have epsom salt add an 1/8 of a tsp in the water and if you have aquarium salt it say's on the container you can add 1 tblsp of it to the water. The salt will help drain the water out of his system. I did it last night and it worked like a charm. He's not nearly as fat as he was. I only put a tsp of the aquarium salt in the tank, but I only have 3 gallon hosp. tank,s o the tbslp would've been way too much. If you don't want add a whole tblsp then a tsp and see if tha helps. Kepp using the tablests. I wouldn't just dropa tablet in though. You have a 5.5 gallon tank. So, you should dissolve the tablet in 10 oz of water(it takes awhile to diisolve so I would do atleast an hour before his next dose and then pur 5.5 oz of it in his water. it's 1 oz per gallon of water. Hope this helps. I too will keep Atlantis in my thoughts and prayers and hope that he get's through this. Natalie

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've added some epsom salts, so hopefully that does something to help, at least ease the obvious pain the poor little guy is in.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh Good. Hopefully you'll see some improvement either by tonight or tomorrow morning. I was really surprised how fast it worked.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom