betta food

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by zebra, Mar 30, 2006.

1. zebraValued MemberMember

was reading the posts about how picky bettas are when it comes down to eating.
    I am by know means an expert. Just got mine two weeks ago.
    He would not eat anything I gave him. Tried HBH Betta Bites, Tetra Betta Min Flakes, and Tetra Freeze Dried Blood Worms. For three days, he would not eat, would put it in his mouth and spit it back out.
    Found something, wishing for promis, and it worked.
    Wardley Total Betta gourmet floating pellets. He gobbles them up each time, no problems, no turning his head, and when he knows that I am getting ready to feed him he gets very excited. I can feed him one pellet at a time. Have been feeding him very successfully with this for 10days now. 4 pellets, 2X a day.
    I am so sorry for your loss, it always hits so hard and close to the heart.
    Have had cats in the past, my last one was 16yrs old, and just as sweet as she could be.
    So if you have a picky betta, hope this will work for you the way it has worked for me
    LOL, Sharom

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, Bettas can be very picky, I'm glad you found something that he would take. :)

3. mistycheriValued MemberMember

My beta likes the Tubifex worms, I only pinch off a few pin head size chunks each feeding, and she like regular fish flakes too. I recently tried the Betta Bio-Gold pellets, but she just spits them back out. :-\

4. zebraValued MemberMember

what are tubiflex worms. Are they live? Can they bring any bacteria in the tank? Where do you get them?
    Would like to try something else, I know it is good to feed a few dif. things.
    Just like us, i am sure that they get sick of the same thing, besides how can one thing have everything that you would need in it.
    Thanks Sharon

5. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

You can usually get tubifex worms wherever you get your fish food. Try and get the Omega One or Hikari brand if you can. My fish love them also. They usually come in cubes. You can take these cubes and smash them against the glass under the water in the tank. If your betta won't eat them this way, you can always do like mistycheri and just break off small pieces and float them. Don't feed live tubifex worms. They normally live in sewerage and can bring disease and bacteria to your tank. The freeze dried worms are much safer and the fish don't seem to mind. ;)

6. zebraValued MemberMember

Thanks Gunnie, w/my luck all my betta will like will be the pellets, but i guess it's better that he eats something over nothing.
    I noticed that you had a tank with angels.
    I love angels and have one, and I really love him. I would really love to build a tank around him and was wondering if you have had any luck with angels and other tankmates and what they where?
    the tank is a 20 gal and really don't have room to move up. I like a community tank, so I would like to have community that the angel can live in peacefully. And I know if i get another, that will pretty much take up the 20 gal, so any ideas for other community tank mates?
    Thanks, Sharon

7. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

To my utter amazement my Betta ate some fish flakes today. (the bottle says that they are designed for betta nutrition) I experimented now and then, since I have corys who will eat whatever he doesn't eat, and crumbled up some very fine, and he ate some. I'm going to try alternating the stuff to see if it supplements the pellet diet at all.

8. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Angels are pretty cool. Butterfly has quite a few of them also. Is your tank a 20 gal. long or high? High is usually better for angels, but the 20 long would be okay if that's what you have. You could add cory cats, blue rams or some of the other apistos, some of the less aggressive tetras like the rummy nose, and I am thinking of trying a tank with one of my pairs and adding a pair of kribensis. Usually you don't match african and American cichlids, but these are supposed to be an exception. Angels can get quite aggressive when they spawn, so keep that in mind if you have a pair in the tank. They will claim at least 1 half of the tank! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice