betta food question

fluxuploll

Reaction score
hello,
i was wonderin if betta fish eats pork or beef or fish. And does it needa be cooked?

yer

Sparkling Diamonds

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that they actually eat meat. To my knowledge, they haven't got any teeth. Bettas seem to eat more insects than they do anything else. Such as blood worms, or brine shrimp, freeze dried is best since live foods can bring in disease.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i've heard frozen is better than freeze dried?

live is fine, as long as it's clean it's cool to watch them hunt sometimes too

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can feed them very tiny pieces of chix and I mean tiny. No bigger then their eye. They do have teeth. They can chew as long as it's small. I don't suggest giving it to them as meals though because they very easily get constipated. I would only give it to them as a treat every once in awhile. I used to give my first betta cooked pieces of chix as a treat. He loved them. It does need to be cooked. Natalie PS Welcome to fishlore.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nmwierman1977 said:
You can feed them very tiny pieces of chix and I mean tiny. No bigger then their eye. They do have teeth. They can chew as long as it's small. I don't suggest giving it to them as meals though because they very easily get constipated. I would only give it to them as a treat every once in awhile. I used to give my first betta cooked pieces of chix as a treat. He loved them. It does need to be cooked. Natalie PS Welcome to fishlore.
Yea, Natalie is right on & probably give him a minced 1/2 of a thawed frozen pea for his next meal. That's about all i'd consider other than freeze dried blood worms, brine shrimp or daphnia - all occasional treats followed by a pea meal next. After dealing with betta constipation, that's not something we want to repeat.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feeding them meat is too rich and lacking in all the nutrients they need. He will end up constipated and die. Commercial fish food has added vitamins and the proper balance of nutrients. He should eat something high quality like Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Pellets (2 per meal, 3 times a day) and have 2-3 very small pieces of cooked frozen pea (only the inside not the skin) about the size of the pellets. Freeze-dried bloodworms can be fed in place of pellets a couple times a week IF your Betta will eat them (none of mine will touch the stuff) but don't feed them only bloodworms or he can get constipated.

fluxuploll

Reaction score
oicc,
tankz loads guyz

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's kind of funny, both Kyler and Christen really aren't too keen on pellets, they have always preferred Freeze-Dried Bloodworms. They will eat pellets occasionally, but only when they've softened up some.

Maybe my pellets are too big for them?

Sparkling Diamonds

Valued Member
Reaction score
He Helios was rised on eating bloodworms, i've tried to get him to eat the pellets, but he wont touch them. Where as, Apollo will just scarf down the pellets even though he was raised on the live bloodworms too. It's weird how different their personalities are and their preferances.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Other than a new desire to eat algae wafers, our Sora won't even look at pellets.. Bloodworms & peas are it. So we feed him a 1/2 pea minced up 2-3 times a week, instead of 1 time a week like the other bettas.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One thing that might work is Bettas love garlic. The minced garlic that comes fresh in the refrigerated section and is in its own juice comes in handy sometimes with finicky bettas. Just take a few drops (1 or 2) and soak the pellets in them (full strength) and try them again. If this won't work then probably nothing will. It worked with mine. Also they love Krill and the Atison's brand is based on a Krill base and even my finicky Marty would try them when he hated ALL pellets with a passion. They are very tiny so you have to give them about 4 to 6 instead of 2 to 3 as they are tiny but they do seem to be popular. I will say two things though they are expensive and the jar is not small; and they STINK but anything made of Krill does.

Rose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Really? Thanks Rose, when we get back to FL, we have some organic minced garlic in the fridge that we will try that with. And petsmart currently has krill on sale so I will get some while here in Denver since we don't have one back in our little town.

fluxuploll

Reaction score
is it normal wen betta's or fish in majority spit out wat they hav in their mouths then eat it agen?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fluxuploll said:
is it normal wen betta's or fish in majority spit out wat they hav in their mouths then eat it agen?
Yes, fish will do that with food pieces too big to eat. They break/tear the food into smaller pieces to eat.

fluxuploll

Reaction score
tats good to hear, i thought my guy had a problem

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I find that interesting. Spartacus will eat anything. I think all my other Bettas did, too.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Eskielvr said:
I find that interesting. Spartacus will eat anything. I think all my other Bettas did, too.
Our 1st Betta Mario ate anything, our Bettas Aslan & Angel will eat anything, but Sora was one of those picky Bettas from the start.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom