Betta Food Issues

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by LucineT, Apr 13, 2018.

1. L

LucineT Valued Member Member

I don't quite understand what's happening. My betta fish, Fish has been living in his 15 gallon tank for awhile now with a couple of kuhli loaches and cardinal tetras.

The kuhli loaches get a sinking food pallet and for the past couple of weeks, Fish has been guarding the food. He'll nibble on it and stop, but then he'd sit next to the pallet and try and hide it from view from the other fishes with his body and tail.

And when the loaches finally come out to eat, he tries to pull the pallet away from them and when he fails, he just sits there and stares at them.

I was thinking of switching the kuhli loaches food to something smaller so he'd stop but the cardinal tetras and Fish would normally finish any pallets without letting them sink.

Is this normal betta fish behaviour? Neither of my other two bettas have sinking food since they don't have bottom dwellers in their tank. He doesn't flare at them and there's no nipping.

Edit: I just went to check on them and he's doing it again

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe try feeding him after the pellet sinks on the far side of the tank

3. OP
    OP
    L

LucineT Valued Member Member

I'll give it that a go during their next feeding.
    I've tried feeding him first and while he's distracted, pop the sinking pellet in but he immediately goes after that instead. I'd feed him in a net like I used to do in his old tank but the loaches take a long while before coming out of their hide to eat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice