Betta Food For Tiger Barbs???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ColinGreen1985, Apr 16, 2017.

1. C

ColinGreen1985 New Member Member

Can Tiger Barbs eat Betta food? If so how much? I would imagine not allot and not often since the Betta food is pretty much compressed fish flakes and and its probably just pure protein.
    If i'm mistaken though or if they just shouldnt be eating it at all, please let me know.
    I have some betta food thats no use to me and i would'nt want to wast it.

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Tiger Barbs will and eat any fish food, even if its made for bettas. Feed them only the amount that they can finish in 2 minutes, as long as the betta food is not expired and is still in condition there is no reason to not feed them that.

3. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Basically fish could eat any type of food if you supplement with other stuff. Betta pellets tend to be high in protein, so if you feed them the betta food then give them veggies once in a while too.

4. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Yup tiger barbs are really good eaters and accept anything they get. They won't hesitate for a second if u give them special betta food. Infact my tiger barbs like my bettas food more than their own food...

5. Ed204

The OP mentioned that they are flakes, not pellets lol.

6. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Oh oops I interpreted that to mean the betta food is the same as flakes, just condensed

Same principle though... the barbs should be fine eating it

7. Ed204

Agreed. As long as the food is still in good condition it's fine for them to consume.

8. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

All high quality fish food has about 46% protein.. Betta food also usually has 46% protein and the same or very similar ingredients.. So, basically it's exactly the same thing ;) I feed my swordtail fry betta food because it's a good size for fry (depending on which type you have of course).

9. OP
    OP
    C

ColinGreen1985 New Member Member

Sorry for the confusion. I was actually trying to say "the food is in pellet form". I guess i could have explained that better.
    Regardless of the form it is in though, it seems like everybody is saying "yes" it is fine to feed it to my tiger barbs.
    That's good news. I really didn't want that betta food to be wasted.
    Thank you all so much for the comments :)
    I love this forum :)
    I'm getting allot of questions answered . Very informative feedback.

10. Ed204

Pellet or flake, it doesn't matter. Tiger Barbs will eat anything, just make sure you're betta food is still in good condition. ;)
    Best of Luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice