Betta Food Bio Gold

lisab53

Reaction score
I have the Bio Gold food for Gizmo and have a question about it. The directions say feed 2 to 4 pellet three times a day. The pellets are so small I have trouble even picking them out of my hand to put in the tank. One the front of the bag it says "Baby Pellets." I went to the website for Hikari to see if there are two diffent foods, one for adults and one for the young ones. I really couldn't find anything to help me. Those of you who use this food, are the pellets suppose to be so small. I can't think of anything that small to use for comparison of size, maybe a pencil point.

I am hooked on this guy. I love feeding time now, I tap the water and he comes over and I throw in a pellet and watch him gobble it up. He hangs around till the food is all. I'm searching my house for another spot to set a 5 gallon tank up, I just gotta get another.

Lisa

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, the baby pellets are very tiny. I'm glad that you are enjoying him. I lost my baby Royell this weekend. He beat dropsy, but he ended up getting another infection towards the end and just couldn't fight anymore. He's in a better place though.

Good for you in wanting to get another tank. My husband would have my head if I got another. I have 2 already even though one is only used as a hosp/Q-tank. It's alot of work keeping up with them when they are both being used. Plus We just don't have the room for another. Natalie

lisab53

Reaction score
Thanks Natalie, I was afraid I bought food for the young ones and he wasn't getting enough to eat.

It's hard to lose any pet but stay strong. Maybe Royell gave up the fight because he knew there were so many other Betta's sitting in plastic cups needing GOOD homes. I have two tanks, a 20 gallon with goldfish and now my 5 gallon. When my hubby saw me plugging in the filter, heater, and hood light he asked me how much this was going to raise his electric bill. I just told him to hold his complaints, that he's lucky I'm not one of those women who has to have new furniture every couple years, or shoes to match every outfit. He's very very lucky, I'm low maintance. He got the picture. But like you, my problem is finding another spot to fit a tank, but I'll keep looking around for a nook or cranney.

Lisa

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about them being called "baby pellets". They are adult size and most very young Bettas can't eat them.
A Betta's stomach is only the size of his eye. Feeding 4 pellets twice a day is FAR too much. They get constipated very easily especially with dry food because it expands in their stomach and causes intestinal blockage. Put one in a cup of water and wait 15 minutes. You will see how much it expands.  I feed my ADULT Bettas 2 "Hikari Betta Bio-Gold" pellets twice a day and my young females one pellet twice a day. I soak them first to prevent constipation from dry food. I give _small_ midday treats of green pea or Freeze dried Daphnia. This may not seem like much but it's plenty to keep them healthy. I lost a Betta due to constipation so I know how deadly overfeeding can be. They always act like they are starving. They're not. Your Betta will live longer and be healthier if you feed small meals 2-3 times a day.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, maybe I have been overfeeding as well??? ( apparently that can also cause fin/tail rot? ) I have Atisons Betta Pro the tiniest little pellets the size of a poppy seed. He get 5-6 twice a day?? Yikes! The little tub they sent 2.65 oz would feed 100 fish 100 weeks!!

I started with hikari Betta Gold, but it was much larger, and really did expand!

His treat is fd bloodworms ( yummy) a couple times a week ( in lieu of pellets). Also pea treat - he gobbled that up too....has me thinking now....I think I best cut back.

Val

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine loves his bloosworms! He eats them mixed with his betta pellets

lisab53

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I am going to try soaking the pellets first and cut back to two with each meal. I have freeze dried bloodworms and will do one or two of those for an afternoon snack. I sure don't want anything to happen to my guy.

Lisa

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay folks, first I have to say they should not get pellets and bloodworms in the same meal. That is much too much and a receipe for disaster.

Then bloodworms or pellets cannot be used as treats, they are meals and the bettas should not have more than 2 meals a day unless they are babies and then they should be very small meals. The Atison's Betta Pro is fine for them to have 5 - 6 twice a day as they are miniscule compared to the Betta Bio-gold pellets. Each Betta PRO pellet is about 1/4 of a Bio-gold pellet. The Atison's Betta FORMULA is something else though and needs to be fed as you would the Hikari Betta Bio-gold.

TREATS for your betta are PEAS and/or Daphnia. (VERY small amounts of daphnia)

Rose

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you so much. I am quitting with that mix.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom