Betta Flow Problems

Daxisapit
HI everyone, I have a cycled, planted Fluval Spec V. It's been going since September 3, 2017.

In it I have a twin-tailed halfmoon male betta named Dart, 5 ghost shrimp, and a small black racer nerite snail. I have the filter covered with a sponge so that there is no flow. Since I didn't want stagnant water I added an air pump and stone. But the air pump seems to even make it hard for my betta to swim

But if I do not have my air pump there is stagnant water and I'm afraid I will ruin my Cobalt Aquatics 25w Neo-Therm heater.

What should I do? Could I buy an air stone that makes the bubbles fizzy? not so strong?

r5n8xaw00
I have the same with my Betta and I have provided places for him to rest out of the current flow. You can get something like this shelf ..... Click >

Then place something on it like a cave or a small glass bowel of some kind. Here is the cave that I ordered... Click >

Or you can get some broad leaf plants or silk plants for him to rest on.

Just like you said, you need what you have to keep the water moving and get oxygenation. Your Betta is smart enough to use something like I suggest to get out of the current and rest. Besides it will give him more places to explore.

Just use your imagination, and come up with what works for you to provide your Betta places to rest out of the current.

Here is a picture of a glass dessert cup that I also use. I also use to feed him bloodworms.

Glass Dessert Cup.jpg

Daxisapit
I have the same with my Betta and I have provided places for him to rest out of the current flow. You can get something like this shelf ..... Click >

Then place something on it like a cave or a small glass bowel of some kind. Here is the cave that I ordered... Click >

Or you can get some broad leaf plants or silk plants for him to rest on.

Just like you said, you need what you have to keep the water moving and get oxygenation. Your Betta is smart enough to use something like I suggest to get out of the current and rest. Besides it will give him more places to explore.

Just use your imagination, and come up with what works for you to provide your Betta places to rest out of the current.

Here is a picture of a glass dessert cup that I also use. I also use to feed him bloodworms.

View attachment 423941
Thanks for replying! I have two large anubias plants that he rests on, the right side of the tank doesn't have much flow. I am going to try getting an airstone that makes fizzy bubbles tomorrow to see if that helps. I think I will also get some kind of cave or something. It's kind of hard though, because the tank is pretty small.

Miles Green
I was about to recommend an anubia!
And some surface plant and those cave stones countryrain posted look good. Bettas like to rest, even lie down if the substrate is soft enough. Try blocking the flow with some hardscape or plants.

Carlthefishnotthelama
Thanks for replying! I have two large anubias plants that he rests on, the right side of the tank doesn't have much flow. I am going to try getting an airstone that makes fizzy bubbles tomorrow to see if that helps. I think I will also get some kind of cave or something. It's kind of hard though, because the tank is pretty small.
most airstones will work the same. most of the time when you see the fuzzy bubbles its a saltwater tank (something about salt changes the bubbles)

mrdilling
You could also get regulator for your air lines, I've picked them up before at Wal-Mart for only a few bucks, and they let you control the airflow going into the tank.

Daxisapit
most airstones will work the same. most of the time when you see the fuzzy bubbles its a saltwater tank (something about salt changes the bubbles)
oh ok, thanks!

You could also get regulator for your air lines, I've picked them up before at Wal-Mart for only a few bucks, and they let you control the airflow going into the tank.
would they have one at Petsmart?

Carlthefishnotthelama
oh ok, thanks!

would they have one at Petsmart?
in my experience petsmart has the best selection. it would be with the airpumps and stuff. if anything you could get one of petsmarts cheap gang valves and control the flow that way!

mrdilling
Don't know about in-store but they have what you need on their website:

I didn't see anything for a single airline though so you may or may not need to plug one side. It's not too much trouble though.

Carlthefishnotthelama

I didn't see anything for a single airline though so you may or may not need to plug one side. It's not too much trouble though.
the valves fully close off so you don't need to plug it. Iv used this exact one to connect two bits of hose because I cut too short.

Daxisapit

can I just let the other one bleed out extra air?

Carlthefishnotthelama
can I just let the other one bleed out extra air?
technically yes, or you can close it off so all the air is running off of one

Siphon
just tie a knot in the air line. Tighten it until your happy with the air pressure.
Or bend the air line and put elastic bands on it

I employ the knot metheod

mrdilling
If that doesn't work I would recommend getting a T-split to divide the air flow between two tiny air stones placed in both corners on one side of the tank. That will cut the air flow in half making it even weaker if needed while at the same time providing oxygen and a very slight current.

Daxisapit
just tie a knot in the air line. Tighten it until your happy with the air pressure.
Or bend the air line and put elastic bands on it

I employ the knot metheod
ive tried that and it's never helped

glenCOCO

Wrong. The fuzzy bubbles are from wooden airstones.

Carlthefishnotthelama
Wrong. The fuzzy bubbles are from wooden airstones.
No, I'm not wrong Wooden stones don't make fuzzy bubbles, its the salt in saltwater that makes them fuzzy. If you take two cups and fill one with freshwater and the other with saltwater. Next put an airstone in one cup and see how the bubbles are. Put the same exact airstone into the next cup and watch the bubbles not be the same even though its the same airstone.

Siphon
Wooden air stones do make finer bubbles too. Salt does make tinier bubbles because of density

aussieJJDude
Could you cut the sponge slightly so a bit of water is not passed through the sponge and produce a bit of flow?

Otherwise, you could drill some holes into the plastic tube that connects to the pump and then remove the sponge completely...?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Hobbyist
Replies
Views
FishKeeper71
Replies
Views
mohawk
Replies