Betta flicking its self against rocks.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ashleighh28, Jun 26, 2016.

1. ashleighh28

ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

Help everyone I've seen this before In my platys and now in my Betta. I have a 23l fluval tank one Betta inside, water permits are ammonia 0.25ppm nitrite 0.25ppm. Tanks temp 23 degrees.

https://vimeo.com/172284407 does he seem right? His in a non cycled tank currently doing 40% water changes daily.. Today is the first day that I've not needed too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't see anything wrong. He isn't hitting anything. What's your nitrates? Do you have a filter or a heater?

3. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

Yeah his not doing anything in the video but his doing the odd flicking against the gray slate rock.. I have a filter and a heater.

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello ash...

You have traces of ammonia and nitrite in the water. This will definitely stress the fish because these forms of nitrogen will burn the gill tissues. The fish is obviously reacting to the burning sensation. You should research the forms of nitrogen and the effects they have on fish. Ammonia and nitrite should always test out at zero. Nitrate is at the end of nitrogen cycle and isn't especially harmful to the fish unless the level is high.

Betta fish are a poor choice to cycle a tank. They're very sensitive to poor water conditions. Their water temperature should stay around 80 degrees.

Old

5. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

I seem to have been poorly advised on choices what to stock whilst having a fish in cycle. I use stabile and prime what can I do to make this situation better for my fish? Nitrates are 5.0pm I've been told whilst cycling that I want some sort of Bacteria.. Should I do a water change?

6. f

fishayfishay1020 New Member Member

I think you should try tetra safe start which has the right beneficial bacteria for your tank to cycle correctly. If im not mistaken stability is a bacteria but it could be a land based bacteria that could slow your cycle down in the long run.

7. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Stability and prime will work just fine (hey that rhymed! ;) ) . Plus you can do water changes with stability since you are doing a fish in cycle that is very helpful.

8. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

I've only just purchased prime and stability on the recommendations of someone of here. I feel like I'm being told one thing and then another. What's the difference between seachemens and tetra?

9. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Both stability and TSS work well for helping to cycle a tank. A lot of it comes down to simply person preference. I recommend stability for fish in cycle due to the fact that you can do water changes when using it. Which can help if you get a sudden spike of ammonia and/or nitrite which can cause stress on the fish.

With TSS you can't do water changes for two weeks, and you have to wait 24 hours to put it in after prime.

10. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

Ok thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice