20 Gallon Tank Betta fish’s tank mates

Caterpie

Hello everyone!!
I have 1 male betta, 4 albino corys and 3 nerite snails in a 20 gallons planted tank. I’d like adding more fishes, because it looks a bit empty, however, my experience with some fishes haven’t been the best. First I had 4 molly fishes that nipped the betta tail and corys. Then, I got 6 neon tetras that also nipped the betta fish tail and almost left blind a cory, and then i ended up getting 5 ember tetras (which was suggested here) but my betta killed 2 of them :( so I also returned them to the store. The next options I have in mind are: long fun zebra danios, female guppies, emerald green Cory catfish and harlequin rasboras. Could anybody who knows these fishes behavior give me any suggestions? Thank you so much. I attach pictures of my tank so you can see the decorations.

Attachments

• 12D94BBC-9F92-413F-B678-5365C27B939D.jpeg
    12D94BBC-9F92-413F-B678-5365C27B939D.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 16

BigManAquatics

The rasboras would be a better choice, unless the betta doesn't like them, but that is a roll of the dice with bettas, anyway.

I currently have my betta in a 29 gallon with 2 nerites, 1 mystery, 1 bn pleco, 8 scissortail rasboras and 6 penguin tetras and lots of places to hide and break lines of sight. The betta actually hates the lights far more than the tank mates in my tank.

Upvote 0

Fisch

Bettas and tankmates are a gamble....May be some additional plants breaking up line of sight would help, providing more hiding spots for all inhabitants. When the tank is a bit more filled with grown plants you may want to try again with additional fish.

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

It sounds like your betta may not tolerate anymore tankmates than the bottom dwellers currently with him. This is not uncommon since bettas are a solitary species.

If you do decide to try again with small schooling fish then I suggest removing the betta temporarily while you rearrange the decor to create a "new" territory and I suggest adding a lot more plants. I would also recommend adding the other schooling fish first then betta last.

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

I have harlequins with my female betta and she will chase them off occasionally but they’re faster and they seem to leave her alone too.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
  • Question
Replies
Views
Caterpie