Betta Fishs fins keep tearing

1. B

Brittney Valued Member Member

Well recently I had a .5 ppm ammonia strike in my tank. It took 2 weeks to get down, then it went away for a week, then came back, and it goes the comes and goes then comes. My tank is not properly cyclee but ive had it for over 6 months so idk whats happening with the cycle. But anyways, that is not the problem as my betta does nit have fin rot. He has torn fins, that seem to be getting worse. They are just torn up and split from each other in certain areas. It started happening after I bought a plastic plant, which then I took out and replaced with a live plant (a java fern) and now his fins are still getting worse. He is either a delta tail or a double tail halfmoon betta, I've showed people pictures of him and no one knows what he is really. But I just want him to be okay, and not have his fins look so weird. I made sure everything else wasn't able to damage his fins. And I also made the filter less powerful with a DIY technique. Does anyone know what I can do now?

Tank info:

5 gallons
    One betta fish
    One nerite snail
    Filter
    Heater (usually keeps the tank around 76 - 78 degrees, its not adjustable)

And I feed my betta "Betta bio gold perfectly sized pellets" by Hikari. 2-4 of them twice a day, and sometimes I feed him some bloodworms instead of the pellets for a day. I also fast him every Friday. And I do a 25-50% w/c weekly. Thanks :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

The poor water quality can keep his torn fins from healing, so even though the plastic plant is gone the tears can't heal. For now, large and frequent (as in daily, not weekly) water changes are needed to keep the water pristine so he can heal. Other helpful products to aid in healing are garlic guard or vita chem, which can be added to the tank or used to soak his pellets in, or Kordon fish protector, which is just added to the tank.

Hopefully we can also help you maintain a stable cycle too. What kind of filter do you have and is it always running? How do you change the filter media? Do you ever do a complete clean of the tank (removing all the water and scrubbing everything down) that could accidentally kill the beneficial bacteria?

3. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

I agree with the above. Your Bettas probably has finrot from bad water quality. Keep your water VERY clean and you might treat with a little Melafix to

Best of luck
    i love my puffer

4. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks and it doesn't seem like its fin rot because there is no discoloration or any red/blackness. And I used to do daily water changes (large ones) when I had my first ammonia problem and they didn't help at all. And I did them for quite a while. And I have a 10i intank filter. And I dont change the filter media I just swish it in the old tank water I took out of the tank during a weekly water change. The filter cartridge I change every 3 weeks. And no I never have cleaned the whole tank, its always been just water changes. And I use a siphon vacuum to change my water.

5. I love my puffer

Okay. I would clean the whole tank and keep the filter off as it might damage the fins even mor from the current. treat him with Melafix and he should be okay:) also please post your regular cleaning schedule;)

6. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

I know how you feel, my betta kept ripping his fins too, i had plastic plants in htere, so i took them out, and he ripped his fins... so i took out another thing i had in there that might have been to blame... and he ripped them again!!

so now he's healing up, but the second time he ripped his dorsal fin, it didn't really heal, so now he has like a C shape tail (he's a half double tail, so it's his top tail.)

anyway, maybe you can post pictures HERE and we can figure it out...

hoping for you!

7. OP
    OP
    B

Aww sorry about your betta! Glad someone else knows how I feel haha. And I don't think its a good idea to clean my WHOLE tank? I think that would mess things up more? And the filter helps keep the ammonia down so if I turned it off it might make things worse either way. And I tried to get the best pics I can, but he doesn't flare so cant really show his fins to well :(

Heres sort of a better picture of some of the tears. He keeps on moving where I go so he won't stay still haha

Forgot to add that I just checked my ammonia and now its at 0 ppm. I'm so confused right now. Although I did a 25% w/c yesterday

Attached Files:

8. mg13

when I got my betta, they put him up as a "double tail" but he's not at all, look up a double tail... and they have two tails!!! mark has one that is kind of like maybe split into two starting down the middle...

anyway, why i said that is because maybe he's actually starting to show his real self? maybe he's a half sun, it looks possible from the pictures, look it up, and tell us what you think...

thanks for the compassion by the way, I'm not really stressed about him anymore though, his anal (that was the third one he tore) fin is healing well, and he has no strange behavior, he may not be a show type betta, but i love him... :)

aaand, the ammonia will bounce around until it stabilizes, so you can't really rely on tests right now.... and also if all your other readings are ok, maybe stop doing so many w/c and check it again tomorrow...

9. I love my puffer

That is finrot. Please treat with Melafix AT LEAST. PS sorry if I sound rude but I've kept Bettas for 6 years and I know what I'm talking about. I really hope your fishie gets better. If you are concerned about the 100 percent, do at least 50. Post your parameters and try to at least keep the filter off for a while. Treat with the Melafix.

Best of luck!
    I love my puffer:)

It's just a small bit though. The water change is why it's healed a bit.

10. OP
    OP
    B

Hmm I would say he is but his tears are pretty deep, you just can't see that in thise pictures. But he does look like he could be a half sun or half moon if his fins weren't all messed up

11. mg13

i've been keeping bettas for four years, long enough to see that it's really to hard to see the fins to make a diagnosis... and i'm messing with a fin rot betta as of now... those are really not good enough to see for sure.

better pics would really help...

no offence though, i just wanted to point out that it's too soon to worry your head off yet...

yeah, it's super duper hard to see, maybe try a yellow or white light? not blue?

12. OP
    OP
    B

He actually posed for me! Well you can't see the tears in the picture but they just look like regular tears and are pretty deep. You can sorta see one but its hard to tell.

Attached Files:

13. I love my puffer

Do water changes 25 a day and Mabey a little aquarium salt. Should heal him right up as he has a little finrot

14. mg13

oh wow! he's gorgeous! it's rarely you get such good pics of these fish...
    his ventral fins are so long!!! like Blue Gems are, he's the one that I rescued with my friend, the one with fin rot...

but you still can't see the tears too well...

yeah i agree with you, maybe just a little sickness... but won't the meds mess with the cycle that she's already having problems with?

15. I love my puffer

Yeah. I thought it was more severe as the pics weren't that great, you should be alright without the meds, but if problem persists or gets worse you might want to treat with meds;)

16. OP
    OP
    B

Unfortunately I don't have a yellow or white light. Stupid me bought a glofish tank so its blue. And he won't stop moving so I really apologize for the horrible pics. My camera can't focus in time. And I'll try to get some melafix, I don't know if I can or not but I will try. Thanks everyone though :) and yes I agree his ventral fins are super long, but one of them is torn a little too, but is starting to heal!

I think I finally got a better picture of one of the tears. You can see it on the middle fin (I forgot the name of it) but its pretty visible. Thats what all of the other teard he has look like. Just not as deep.

Well even though you guys cant see the tears, I can and I think they're pretty bad. I wish I could get a better picture but thanks for the help anyways. Ill try doing more water changes daily and keeping the ammonia down as it is already at 0 right now. I'll also try getting some melafix. I also have some aquarium salt which I put in about a month ago. I'm not sure if it'd be okay to put in more though.

Attached Files:

17. I love my puffer

Yes it should be fine. Do 25 water change every other day and treat with Melafix a little salt and he should be fine:) this is how I'd treat mine ;)

Best of luck!
    I love my puffer

18. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Maybe you could record a video? That could help us see them better. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

19. OP
    OP
    B

Sure I could try aha. Don't know if it'll nake a difference :p

20. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Awh haha. Or maybe turn off the blue light and use the room light to take the picture or if it's too dark then use a lamp or flashlight so we can see better?
    He looks beautiful from what I can tell. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum