Betta Fish

motherofbettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So long as it's 2.5 gallons, cycled and do you have a heater? I don't see one...
Personally I would add a little cave or a hut where can get swim into if he wants to get away. Make sure none of the leaves on your plants are plastic. It looks great though, I love the color scheme!

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as long as your temp stays in the mid to upper 70's you don't need a heater.

I completely agree- ditch the plastic plants and either get some silk plants or live plants.

Betta's fins are very very fragile- and they rip and tear.. when that happens you leave them open for disease and other issues like fin rot and fungus.

other than that he seems to like it- he built a little bubble nest =)

Ariyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alestraia said:
I'd ditch the plastic plants and go for an easy live plant like anubias. Bettas sometimes tear their fins on plastic plants and they love chilling on top of broad leaf plants. You have a light so it should be ok but you need a heater. Other than that, its should be good.
Do you know how to propagate this mystary plant from Petco so I can add it to my betta tank. It's the one on the left not the java fern

Alestraia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yo
Alestraia said:
I'd ditch the plastic plants and go for an easy live plant like anubias. Bettas sometimes tear their fins on plastic plants and they love chilling on top of broad leaf plants. You have a light so it should be ok but you need a heater. Other than that, its should be good.
You don't need a heater above 70 but a heater ensures your temperature is constant since we can't be expected to check the thermometer every hour =p.
Ariyan said:
Do you know how to propagate this mystary plant from Petco so I can add it to my betta tank. It's the one on the left not the java fern
To be honest, I'm absolutely terrible with plants but I wouldn't put it in with my betta. I had a plants like that in my main tank (Don't remember the name) and you'd probably need some fertilizers for it. The plant dropped all its leaves and quickly died (That was probably my bristlenose's fault though). Its not broad enough for the betta anyway. This is what I have my betta with, no fertilizers and minimal light. Crypts work just as well too or broadleaf java fern.

(Note: Yes, each side is at least 2.5 gal, I checked. Theres a heater & filter in the back. I usually have the water lower but the plant on the other side is taller and dying from being out the water so he has to wait for it to grow.)

20180427_003031.jpg

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Betta need temps of 80 to 82 degrees. So yes you do need a heater. And that plant is a stem plant not sure the exact species but just cut the top off and put it in the Betta tank. It will grow. It needs no fertilizers cause stem plants get their nutrients from the water column.

Alestraia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NLindsey921 said:
Betta need temps of 80 to 82 degrees. So yes you do need a heater. And that plant is a stem plant not sure the exact species but just cut the top off and put it in the Betta tank. It will grow. It needs no fertilizers cause stem plants get their nutrients from the water column.
I just checked what 70 farenheight is and it was lower than what I thought it was lol! (I use Celsius, sorry). I'd like to correct my earlier statement, best betta temp I find is 27 degrees/80 F

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Alestraia said:
I just checked what 70 farenheight is and it was lower than what I thought it was lol! (I use Celsius, sorry). I'd like to correct my earlier statement, best betta temp I find is 27 degrees/80 F
Ok. I was wondering cause general consensus on here is 80.

Ariyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
NLindsey921 said:
I cut off a little piece and put it in. Did I do it right?
1524761787072.jpg

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That is a little short but it should be fine. It will grow roots and establish itself. Once it grows large enough you can cut it again and get another plant from it. That's the best thing about stem plants. You only need one and eventually you can have a whole forest.

Ariyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
NLindsey921 said:
That is a little short but it should be fine. It will grow roots and establish itself. Once it grows large enough you can cut it again and get another plant from it. That's the best thing about stem plants. You only need one and eventually you can have a whole forest.
It's my first time propagating. I'll add in cava fern later but I don't know how to propagate java fern

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've never done it purposely. But the way to do it is to cut the rizome. Make sure there is at least a couple leaves and plant that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom