Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Mychelle, Aug 6, 2017.

1. MychelleNew MemberMember

I think my Betts fish may be sick or dying. He is lying on the bottom of the aquarium a lot and when he does move he doesn't stay afloat. What do you think?

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore! What size tank? Is it cycled? What are your water parameters? Can you post a picture?

3. OP
    OP
    M

MychelleNew MemberMember

It's a 20 gallon tank. I have a filter though it's for a 10 gallon tank since he is the only fish. I cleaned it about 2 weeks ago. When I cleaned it I did add something for algae to it.

4. Katie13

Is it cycled? Do you know your water parameters? Fish tanks do best recieving weekly water changes both to keep parameters in check and to reintroduce essential depleted minerals. Can you post a picture?

5. OP
    OP
    M

MychelleNew MemberMember

He's always done well with how often I change it. I don't know the water parameters. What do you mean by cycled?

6. Katie13

With only a Betta, water changes every other week will suffice, but in an uncycled tank, they should be done whenever ammonia and/or nitrite reaches .5 or above. Nitrate above 40 is also harmful and a water change should also be done at that time. Cycle refers to the nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is the process of growing beneficial bacteria for different stages (converting ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to the less harmful nitrate.

7. OP
    OP
    M

MychelleNew MemberMember

I do not have it cycled then. Could it possibly be the algae control stuff I added to the water. He was doing fine but ever since I added the algae stuff, he slowly started resting on the bottom more.

8. Katie13

I would do a 50 percent water change? A picture would help.

9. OP
    OP
    M

MychelleNew MemberMember

I have also included a picture of how my betta has been acting. 20170806_223305.jpg20170806_223251.jpg

10. LucyC

LucyCValued MemberMember

Do you have an aquarium test kit? If so, what are the water parameters? Do you use water conditioner/de-chlorinator when you do a water change? How long have you had him? How much do you feed? How strong is the filter flow?
    Sorry for so many questions, just trying to help:)

11. OP
    OP
    M

MychelleNew MemberMember

I don't have a test kit. I do use a water conditioner when I do water changes. We have had him for a year. The filter is for a ten gallon tank but he is the only fish in the tank. I feed 1-2 pellets a night. Sometimes I skip a night just to give him a clean out. The only thing I have done different is added an algae control liquid about two weeks ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice