Betta fish yawning and randomly flicking against the glass

ashleighh28

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys I've notice that Bruce my veiltail has randomly been flicking himself against the glass and plants.
His not got any white spots on him and my tank is cycled all three tanks suffer with high nitrates. I've been using matrix for over a 2 months now but my nitrates have stayed at 40ppms they where previously off the chart, I can't seem to get them down any lower then that I vacuum regularly. I do a 50/70%water change weekly.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How about your filter... have you cleaned the media or replaced it? This is in support of your nitrates... I know nothing about Betta fish sorry

OP
ashleighh28

ashleighh28

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I rinse it weekly in old tank water. The sponges have been in there a few months now but they're still good for while.

BravetheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
matrix is a good media, but most biomedia can't support nearly enough nitrate-eating bacteria (they're anaerobic and regular anaerobic bact will kill them before they can take hold)

what do your tap parameters read? 40ppm is really high, what is your water chance schedule like? what do you dose your tanks with?

BravetheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh, and yawning is completely natural. Betta do it to clear their gills every once in a while, especially since they don't use it often. Besh doesn't do it a lot, but Brave and the rest of the gang do.

rustymurphy

Reaction score
I don't know about Betta fish but my fish had parasites and would rub themselves on the gravel I put some stuff called ICH disease treatment in the water look for little white Speck's on fins that is sing of parasites

Fettuccini

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The nitrates may be causing the rubbing. In the past I've noticed some of my fish have done this when nitrates are high, and stopped once I did a water change.

OP
ashleighh28

ashleighh28

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tap nitrates are 40/60ppm. The tanks heated and I replaced my bio media with matrix.
The tank is a 23L so around 5 gallons I use sechems prime.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm maybe a little higher.
I performed a 60% water change yesterday and treated him with some vitachem because his torn fin. I normally do one large water change once a week.

BravetheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh crud, your tap nitrates are super high unfortunately prime doesn't do anything to nitrates (nothing against it as a water conditioner though, probably the best out there)

I don't know how to help with lowering nitrates other than a ball of moss (all my betta tanks have it), so hopefully someone else can!

OP
ashleighh28

ashleighh28

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've got Anubis, Java fern, s repens, water wisteria, crypts. Fully planted tank. Seems not to be lowering my nitrates though. I've tried with floating plants but they just seemed to melt because my nitrates. I've Tryed moss balls but someone on here said they will soak the bad stuff up put aren't that great with keeping nitrates down. The matrix has lowered my nitrates around 20ppms but I'm still struggling with them. I was using tetras nitrates minus for while aswell as matrix and my tank was deffo at 40ppms them best I've seen it. Since I've stopped using the nitrate minus from tertra they've gone up a little more. I was also boiling water at some point but someone said that does nothing for nitrates. I was also doing spring water. But that was until I got the matrix cycled.

And when I mean yawn, one of my bettas is doing it about 5+ times a day.

Fettuccini

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Other than the wisteria, those are all slow growing plants that won't make much of a dent in nitrates. Contrary to most advertising, moss balls are one of the worst for the job, as they're one of the slowest growing plants available and hardly take up any nutrients at all. To get them down, you need something with fast, emergent growth. What kind of floating plants have you tried? The melting wouldn't have been caused by nitrates, it's a nutrient for plants and doesn't harm them. It may have been caused by insufficient lighting, or just normal acclimation to new conditions that many aquatic plants go through. Another option that may work for you is pennywort. I've had success with it in tanks where the red root floaters I usually go with didn't make it.

OP
ashleighh28

ashleighh28

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've got pennywort in one tank,
I've tried frogbit and water lettuce both failed. And thought that was the case about moss balls!

that's two of the planted tanks the pennywort doesn't seem to be doing that good but it's only been in the tank two weeks? this is the other plant I got what seems to be dieing too.

OP
ashleighh28

ashleighh28

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my bad I think it may be money wort? I'm only a beginner

Fettuccini

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hmm, I don't know what moneywort looks like, but that's definitely not pennywort. Here's the plant I'm talking about, it's actually a semi-aquatic plant that does really well floating.

image.jpg

OP
ashleighh28

ashleighh28

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ohhh that's really pretty!!! I'll look into getting some of that.

Fettuccini

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah, I like it a lot. Bettas seem to like swimming around in it too. The only thing I don't like is that it requires kind of a lot of pruning. It grows really fast, and a lot of the leaves don't live especially long in my experience.

OP
ashleighh28

ashleighh28

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys if anyone could offer some advice on my recent post about my Betta Metallica would be great.