Feeshfeeshfeesh

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 45 lites/11gallons
How long has the tank been running? Almost a year
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 25c/77f
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Just the betta fish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 2x a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? API Sress Coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No regrets
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Quick note: Had issues with the cycle (ammonia appearing). I didn't want to put him through another fish-in cycle, so I've got extra filter media cycling in a big bucket so I can make the process super fast and am keeping on top of extra water changes in the mean time so everything stays 0.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 6 days a week
How much do you feed your fish? 3 pellets in the morning, 3 at night. Twice a week I feed frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp instead. I soak all food first.
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen food, sometimes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 to 4 days
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Swim bladder with flashing
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I fasted him for a few days and then today fed part of a pea. Also extra water changes and turning off the light in case it is velvet.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? He has some fin rot from where he ripped his fin on some driftwood (driftwood since removed)
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The flashing is the major change, and the sinking from the swim bladder

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Hey fam

My fish has swim bladder issues and is flashing. I've fasted him for for a few days and fed tiny parts of a defrosted, raw and peeled pea. I haven't seen much improvement. My main question is: Do I use medication to treat this, and if so, what kind? I'm kind of assuming the problems are related, but either way it feels like something a bit more drastic than fasting should be used to treat the flashing?

He's always been super skinny, despite my best efforts to get him to put on weight. When I shine a torch on him, he does appear faintly gold, but has legit always looked like that at night (even though he's a silver dragon scale).

Thanks in advance, I so appreciate people like you guys who are willing to help others out of the goodness of your heart.

Feeshfeeshfeesh

Reaction score
Slight update- I've purchased some blue planet multi-cure. My (good) lfs is closed today, but open tomorrow, so I'll head down there as well and get some more advice on what to do.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 45 lites/11gallons
How long has the tank been running? Almost a year
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 25c/77f
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Just the betta fish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 2x a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? API Sress Coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No regrets
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Quick note: Had issues with the cycle (ammonia appearing). I didn't want to put him through another fish-in cycle, so I've got extra filter media cycling in a big bucket so I can make the process super fast and am keeping on top of extra water changes in the mean time so everything stays 0.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 6 days a week
How much do you feed your fish? 3 pellets in the morning, 3 at night. Twice a week I feed frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp instead. I soak all food first.
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen food, sometimes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 to 4 days
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Swim bladder with flashing
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I fasted him for a few days and then today fed part of a pea. Also extra water changes and turning off the light in case it is velvet.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? He has some fin rot from where he ripped his fin on some driftwood (driftwood since removed)
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The flashing is the major change, and the sinking from the swim bladder

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Hey fam

My fish has swim bladder issues and is flashing. I've fasted him for for a few days and fed tiny parts of a defrosted, raw and peeled pea. I haven't seen much improvement. My main question is: Do I use medication to treat this, and if so, what kind? I'm kind of assuming the problems are related, but either way it feels like something a bit more drastic than fasting should be used to treat the flashing?

He's always been super skinny, despite my best efforts to get him to put on weight. When I shine a torch on him, he does appear faintly gold, but has legit always looked like that at night (even though he's a silver dragon scale).

Thanks in advance, I so appreciate people like you guys who are willing to help others out of the goodness of your heart.
Have you tried the epsom salt bath?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom