Betta Fish With Popeye And Pale Color + Possible Causes?

1. SaltyPrncss

SaltyPrncss New Member Member

Hi, I need some advice. This is my first betta fish and I believe he has popeye in both eyes. It's not super bad right now, but I did notice his eyes seem a little bit more bulgy and they were originally all black, but now the part around his pupil is lighter, like a gray color.

I highly doubt it's due to ammonia/nitrates because I tested the water and I have a cycled tank. However, the water was cloudy for about 2 weeks, but I read online that usually it's just a bacterial bloom and it can clear itself within 2 weeks. It'd never been cloudy before, either. Today when I came back, I found my betta really pale and noticed his eyes seemed different and he was kinda bumping into things :( I did a large water change and he doesn't seem pale anymore and his eyes seem a little better, thankfully. He's still swimming around like normal, but now I'm just wondering what to do about his eyes and what the cause may be.

Things that changed/may have caused this:
    1. Right before the water started getting cloudy (like I said, it was NEVER cloudy before), I bought him some new ornaments from Petco because I wanted to decorate his tank and give him more stuff to look at... But a few days after I added them in, the water started getting cloudy and would come back after I did water changes. Could this be the culprit? I also took them out when changing the water today, so if they were the cause I'll know in a few days depending on whether or not the water gets cloudy again today. I'm just worried so I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this before and could provide some insight too.
    2. I also started giving him frozen foods. I fed him SFBB bloodworms for the first time 2 days ago, and then read online that it's not the best brand because the quality is quite often lacking. (I went out and bought Omega One bloodworms instead, but haven't fed him those yet.) I also fed him Omega One spirulina brine shrimp yesterday. Do you think he could have a parasite or have gotten sick from these?
    3. Or could it just be a bacterial bloom/infection? How can these be prevented? I do 50% water change every week and roughly clean the gravel with a turkey baster, but I think I could've been more thorough in the gravel cleaning...

And what would the treatment usually be for popeye? His eye definitely seems much better now, over the course of me typing this out, but it's still definitely a bigger than normal.

TL;DR: Betta fish has popeye and was super pale, but seems much better with large water change I immediately did. I also took out the new Petco fish tank decorations. Water has been cloudy for about 2 weeks (started right after I put in the Petco decorations) so could that be the cause? Or new frozen foods? Or if it was just a bacterial bloom, how to prevent in the future? And of course how to treat his popeye?

2. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

If he has Popeye, one of two things are happening. A bacterial infection on, around, or behind the eye. The other is fluid built up behind the eyes. Normally Popeye normally happens in one eye, but since it's both, I'm guessing it is more fluid retention. I'm not saying a bacterial infection can not happen in both eyes, but normally it's just one eye that gets effected.

I suggest to start with the easier and simpler treatment if fluid retention, and treat him with Epsom Salt. This will help draw out the fluid behind the eyes if there is extra fluid built up. Take a cup of tank water out, and add 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt per gallon of his tank to it. Stir until dissolved, then poor into his tank. If the bulging of the eyes reduce with in a few days, then do a 75% water change, followed up with another 50% water change a few hours later. Salts can not be cycled out, and has to be removed by water changes.

If the eyes do not look better or get worse during treatment, then we need to look at bacterial infection, and treatment for that.

As for the clouding of the water, it really depends on the color of the clouding. White like someone poored milk into the tank normally means bacterial bloom. Water changes can make it worse. The best thing to do is leave it alone. I've read some people adding extra benifital bacteria like Stability to speed it along a bit.

If the bloom is greenish in color, that's algy bloom. To solve that, keep the light off, cover the tank for 48 hours, and when you uncover it, it should be gone.

If it was reddish, you have an over abundant iron in your water. To fix that, filter your water.

Hope I've helped a bit.

3. OP
    OP
    SaltyPrncss

SaltyPrncss New Member Member

Hi, thank you so much for your response! It's really strange what's happened to my betta...
    The water was definitely a white, milky color. I still changed the water once a week, but it only got worse :( The cloudiness hasn't returned yet -- in fact, the water is crystal clear right now... So I'm really beginning to suspect it was the new Petco decorations... Strange and upsetting since they're literally meant for aquariums -____-

The bulging of his eyes has already been reduced since changing the water, and his color is back to normal. Now I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid that his eyes are still big or if they're fine now, since looking from pictures online, his eyes are no where near as big the pictures. Do you think I should just try epsom salt anyways just in case, or see if it gets worse again first? I can definitely just keep some epsom salt on hand just in case!

4. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I seriously doubt it was the decorations, the timing seems like coincidence to me. When I was cycling my tank I had that milky cloudiness for weeks and didn't know it was bacterial bloom, or that a bacterial bloom was a good thing. It suddenly cleared up one day just like yours.