Betta Fish With New Growing Hole In Tail

spicegirls5ever

Valued Member
Reaction score
I noticed a small roughly 1mm hole in my betta's tail the other day, I thought it must have been a brush with my driftwood or something in the tank that isnt perfectly smooth, I havent completely betta proofed it but I did sand down several edges on decor and all the plants are real.
I suspect he brushed my driftwood or its possible one of the cory catfish poked him somehow.
Parameters are all normal and I dont see any weird growths anywhere on my betta, but now the hole has grown. I'm moving my driftwood so that my betta is less likely to contact it but does anyone think this is something more than a careless scrape?
I know that his fins will heal fairly quickly as long as my water parameters are healthy. I've been adding tannins to the water to try to combat the hardness as well as to protect my fish from infections in general.
Is there anything I can do to help him heal more quickly?
20181117_005207.jpg

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

First I need to ask you a question...are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? (blue words will be link to article explaining it) If not, I highly recommend your read up on it and fully understand it since it is the most important concept to understand when keeping fish.

Okay, now on to an actual answer. I'm not sure what cause the hole in the fin. It could have been caught on something, or it could be poor water conditions (i.e. an uncycled tank). I would be less inclined to think the cory nipped the betta, it is usually the other way around. All you really need for fin repair is water as pristine as possible. You may want to do partial water changes every two or three days (assuming the tank is cycled...if not you'll need to get it cycled which is a whole different answer). You can also use Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem to help speed healing. The only problem they can be hard to find locally (I had to order online). The Garlic Guard will help stop infection at the damaged fins and also help boost his immune system and the Vita-Chem is basically a fish vitamin. You can soak his food with both products before feeding. Also Vita-Chem can be added directly to the tank.

Best of luck!

spicegirls5ever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore!

First I need to ask you a question...are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? (blue words will be link to article explaining it) If not, I highly recommend your read up on it and fully understand it since it is the most important concept to understand when keeping fish.

Okay, now on to an actual answer. I'm not sure what cause the hole in the fin. It could have been caught on something, or it could be poor water conditions (i.e. an uncycled tank). I would be less inclined to think the cory nipped the betta, it is usually the other way around. All you really need for fin repair is water as pristine as possible. You may want to do partial water changes every two or three days (assuming the tank is cycled...if not you'll need to get it cycled which is a whole different answer). You can also use Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem to help speed healing. The only problem they can be hard to find locally (I had to order online). The Garlic Guard will help stop infection at the damaged fins and also help boost his immune system and the Vita-Chem is basically a fish vitamin. You can soak his food with both products before feeding. Also Vita-Chem can be added directly to the tank.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the response! The tank is definitely cycled and I've been keeping an eye on ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to make sure there isnt any spikes and they've all been fine
I'll take a look at those medications, I should be able to amazon prime them if I cant find them locally.
Thanks for the advice

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I bought them I got the from , so if you can't find those products on Amazon you could try looking there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom