Betta Fish With Fin Rot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Bambii_Rose, Apr 11, 2017.

1. B

Bambii_Rose New Member Member

Hello all. So recently I noticed my Betta's fins weren't looking so snazzy. It began when I moved him from the 2.5 to the 10 gallon. He's active and swims a lot and eating just fine, but I'm still worried. Once I noticed it was fin rot, I moved him back over to his previous 2.5 gallon which I kept cycled as an emergency tank. I'm treating the water with aquarium salt and daily water changes, just needed some advice on how to proceed. I typically do 20-25% water changes once a week and test the water before and after I do it to make sure that the pH, Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia levels are in check and nothing is off, so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

That is the best thing to do (Advanced fin rot is another story)

3. OP
    OP
    B

I don't know how advanced it is, his fins are jagged around the edges and have a tear, but they haven't really diminished and no spots are visible.

4. KimberlyG

That's good. Some times fins get ripped up on decor and plants in the tank. Mine like to rip their fins while hanging out by the filter intake. I had to put Fluval Edge pre-filter sponges on all my betta tank intakes.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Alright, any suggestions for how long I should do the aquarium salt and daily water changes? I read up to 7 days, I just want to make sure that I don't do it too long.

6. KimberlyG

What is your salt dosage?

7. OP
    OP
    B

Currently doing two teaspoons for the 2.5 gallon.

8. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

The presence of fin rot is an indication of a gram-negative bacterial infection.

9. OP
    OP
    B

What would be the best way to combat this?

10. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Depends on your water.
    Best if I take a pic of my notes, I hate texting lol
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice