Betta Fish White Poop

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are dark
The whole poop is dark?
Even though I can't be certain and I usually don't like blindly recommending treatment, I'm thinking I may go ahead and suggest treating for internal parasites. If he does indeed have parasites and those are eggs you're seeing and describing, we want to cut off the lifecycle of the parasite before the eggs hatch and cause any more problems.

However, first, I'd like you to try Epsom salt baths. This may help him push out whatever it is inside him, if he can. Get a clean container or spare tank and fill it with tank water. Dissolve a tablespoon of the epsom salt in the water, then put your betta in for no more than 15 minutes, then return him to his tank. I'm hoping the muscle relaxant/laxative/swelling-reduction properties of Epsom salt will help him pass whatever seems to be dangling from within him.
If not, while trying to research this and pinpoint what it may be, I came across this Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus. I don't know if your fish has whatever this thread treats, but it got me thinking about soaking your betta pellets in epsom salt so that he can get it inside of him as well. I'm more comfortable with this option than trying potentially harmful or negative medications without being certain what's going on, plus it should help him even if it is just really bad constipation.

You haven't seen him poop normal poop at all, right? Or found evidence of it in the tank?

linn

Reaction score
The whole poop is dark?
Even though I can't be certain and I usually don't like blindly recommending treatment, I'm thinking I may go ahead and suggest treating for internal parasites. If he does indeed have parasites and those are eggs you're seeing and describing, we want to cut off the lifecycle of the parasite before the eggs hatch and cause any more problems.

However, first, I'd like you to try Epsom salt baths. This may help him push out whatever it is inside him, if he can. Get a clean container or spare tank and fill it with tank water. Dissolve a tablespoon of the epsom salt in the water, then put your betta in for no more than 15 minutes, then return him to his tank. I'm hoping the muscle relaxant/laxative/swelling-reduction properties of Epsom salt will help him pass whatever seems to be dangling from within him.
If not, while trying to research this and pinpoint what it may be, I came across this Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus. I don't know if your fish has whatever this thread treats, but it got me thinking about soaking your betta pellets in epsom salt so that he can get it inside of him as well. I'm more comfortable with this option than trying potentially harmful or negative medications without being certain what's going on, plus it should help him even if it is just really bad constipation.

You haven't seen him poop normal poop at all, right? Or found evidence of it in the tank?
No it’s not dark. the whole poop is white but the center of it has a few dark brown dots. If I dip his pellets in the salt would I still have to give him the salt dip treatment? By any chance is paraguard any good? Do you think that would cure him? This site reccomends that so I’m just curious

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use Paraguard as my go-to because of how broad it is, treating external parasites, bacterial infections, viral infection, and fungus. It does not treat internal parasites or other internal things and so would likely not be effective in this case.
I would start with the Epsom salt baths to see what happens. I wouldn't do both, the food soak and baths, as that's a lot of exposure to Epsom salt, internally and externally.

linn

Reaction score
I use Paraguard as my go-to because of how broad it is, treating external parasites, bacterial infections, viral infection, and fungus. It does not treat internal parasites or other internal things and so would likely not be effective in this case.
I would start with the Epsom salt baths to see what happens. I wouldn't do both, the food soak and baths, as that's a lot of exposure to Epsom salt, internally and externally.
How many days in a row would you reccomend me giving him a salt bath? What’s the max amount of days before it becomes dangerous?

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, first do one treatment as soon as you can and watch/monitor him for any movement of the poop or whatever it is. Keep an eye on him after he's back in the tank as well. You can do it maybe twice a day for a few days to start with.

Spulvert

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would go to your LFS and see what they have to say,but at this point I would treat for parasites. You should try to get your hands on a bottle of PraziPro, treat the tank by following the directions. Don't treat the tank anymore than once every three days. 1tsp for every 20 gallons. Don't get discouraged! Anything can happen in this hobby, you'll get through it!

linn

Reaction score
Well, first do one treatment as soon as you can and watch/monitor him for any movement of the poop or whatever it is. Keep an eye on him after he's back in the tank as well. You can do it maybe twice a day for a few days to start with.
I know you said a tablespoon, but I’m not sure how much water to put in? A gallon? What would you suggest. Also do you think twice a day would help or is that dangerous

linn

Reaction score
I would go to your LFS and see what they have to say,but at this point I would treat for parasites. You should try to get your hands on a bottle of PraziPro, treat the tank by following the directions. Don't treat the tank anymore than once every three days. 1tsp for every 20 gallons. Don't get discouraged! Anything can happen in this hobby, you'll get through it!
Would this be more efficient than the epsom salt bath? I’m not sure which to do first. Also how many days would you suggest me treating the water. I know you said once every three days but how long does this treatment normally take to have success

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would this be more efficient than the epsom salt bath? I’m not sure which to do first. Also how many days would you suggest me treating the water. I know you said once every three days but how long does this treatment normally take to have success
Efficiency depends on the issue and severity. The reason I personally would do an Epsom salt bath first is to see if it helps him release whatever is stuck. If it helps his bowels, that's great; that may also help us figure out what it is that is stuck. I do think you should get an anti-parasite med but whether or not you want to do it in addition to or instead of Epsom salt baths is up to you. I don't like to start dosing with medications, especially stuff that will potentially be affecting internal organs and functions and stuff, until I have a better idea of what's going on, it's absolutely urgent, or if I've tried other things and can't figure out what is wrong. So if I were you, I'd get an anti-parasite, do a few Epsom salt baths to see if it helps his system expel the blockage, and then depending on how that goes and what I see, I may or may not dose the anti-parasitic.
However, I'm not you, and it's not my fish, so what you feel comfortable with and feel is right to do may be different. It's ultimately your judgment call.

I know you said a tablespoon, but I’m not sure how much water to put in? A gallon? What would you suggest. Also do you think twice a day would help or is that dangerous
A tablespoon per gallon twice a day is often the recommendation. Hope that answers your question.

linn

Reaction score
Efficiency depends on the issue and severity. The reason I personally would do an Epsom salt bath first is to see if it helps him release whatever is stuck. If it helps his bowels, that's great; that may also help us figure out what it is that is stuck. I do think you should get an anti-parasite med but whether or not you want to do it in addition to or instead of Epsom salt baths is up to you. I don't like to start dosing with medications, especially stuff that will potentially be affecting internal organs and functions and stuff, until I have a better idea of what's going on, it's absolutely urgent, or if I've tried other things and can't figure out what is wrong. So if I were you, I'd get an anti-parasite, do a few Epsom salt baths to see if it helps his system expel the blockage, and then depending on how that goes and what I see, I may or may not dose the anti-parasitic.
However, I'm not you, and it's not my fish, so what you feel comfortable with and feel is right to do may be different. It's ultimately your judgment call.

A tablespoon per gallon twice a day is often the recommendation. Hope that answers your question.
Today is day two of the salt bath. I’m doing them two times a day like you suggested. I will be doing this for maybe a week. I hope this works for him!!! I just wanna say I’d like to thank you so very much because you’ve been so consistent in your replies, trying to help me out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom