Betta Fish White Poop

linn

Reaction score
i had someone watch my betta for two weeks. Once I returned my fish behavior changed. I notice he stays still in the water almost lifeless. Like he won’t move at all. But Then he breaks out of that and swims and acts normal. He does this behavior every day. He’s super weird for a moment and then super normal for the rest of the day. It’s playing tricks on my mind.
I’m not sure why he’s doing this but I noticed he has white poop attached to him. When it does drop it just seems that it’s never ending poop. It constantly pops back up. I’m not sure if he’s been over fed so I fasted him three days. And give him a boiled pea. Today makes day three of his diet and I’m gonna continue giving it to him for a couple more days. He does eat the pea, he does have an appetite. I don’t know how to help him. Please give me advice and thank you to those reading

Attachments

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
linn said:
It constantly pops back up.
What does this mean?

linn said:
Today makes day three of his diet and I’m gonna continue giving it to him for a couple more days. He does eat the pea, he does have an appetite.
That's good. Has he improved at all since you've started this? Does he seem to struggle to pass stool still?
Because we don't know what's happened with him while you were gone, it's hard to say what is wrong.
How long have you had this fish?

Spulvert

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could be many possibilities, It could either stress, bad diet or internal parasites/internal bacterial infection. Test your water to make sure everything is in check.

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
linn said:
I notice he stays still in the water almost lifeless. Like he won’t move at all. But Then he breaks out of that and swims and acts normal. He does this behavior every day. He’s super weird for a moment and then super normal for the rest of the day. It’s playing tricks on my mind.
I’m not sure why he’s doing this but I noticed he has white poop attached to him. When it does drop it just seems
Just wondering, is this a duplicate account??

Attachments

linn

Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
What does this mean?

That's good. Has he improved at all since you've started this? Does he seem to struggle to pass stool still?
Because we don't know what's happened with him while you were gone, it's hard to say what is wrong.
How long have you had this fish?
What I mean by this is every time I look at him he has that white poop poking out.
I’ve had the fish for four months now. And this is exactly what is breaking my heart. I don’t know exactly what happened to him because if he was in my hands those two weeks, I could back track and figure out where I went wrong.... I don’t know what to do from here. I hope the pea helps him, if it doesn’t then I don’t even know what or how to medicate. Thank you by the way for taking your time to reply to me

Allegra said:
I just seen the screenshot and that’s kinda creepy to me!!! We said very similar things!! I just found out about this website maybe five minutes before posting this thread. No this is not a duplicate account but yeah, that was very odd. (Not his question but how similar our descriptions were)

Spulvert said:
It could be many possibilities, It could either stress, bad diet or internal parasites/internal bacterial infection. Test your water to make sure everything is in check.
If it is stress or bad diet what would you recommend I do? OR if it is parasites how do I fix it? Please give me some tips, I really want to get my fish back to his normal state. I appreciate your time.

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Allegra said:
linn said:
I just seen the screenshot and that’s kinda creepy to me!!! We said very similar things!! I just found out about this website maybe five minutes before posting this thread. No this is not a duplicate account but yeah, that was very odd. (Not his question but how similar our descriptions were)
ok, was just wondering if it was the same fish with two different problems or not.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What foods do you feed?
If it's a parasite, I'd think this would be noticeable already, but perhaps not.

linn

Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
What foods do you feed?
If it's a parasite, I'd think this would be noticeable already, but perhaps not.
How would it be noticeable?
I feed him omega one betta buffet pellets

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, I'd think that after four months, you'd be seeing something you are now this if it were a parasite,something in the bowels or stomach; signs like bloated/fat belly, clear stringy poop, etc. I'd have to look up the life cycles though; maybe that wouldn't be the case.

linn

Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
Well, I'd think that after four months, you'd be seeing something you are now this if it were a parasite,something in the bowels or stomach; signs like bloated/fat belly, clear stringy poop, etc. I'd have to look up the life cycles though; maybe that wouldn't be the case.
Well, I’m not sure if this clarifies any better. I’ve owned him in total for four months.... but I got my fish back about one week ago.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
linn said:
Well, I’m not sure if this clarifies any better. I’ve owned him in total for four months.... but I got my fish back about one week ago.
No, I understand that, but I'm not sure how the fish would get an internal parasite in that time. I dunno, I'm not a parasite expert.

Have you looked around the substrate for any signs of fallen worms or anything?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore! Can you post a picture of your betta?

linn

Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
No, I understand that, but I'm not sure how the fish would get an internal parasite in that time. I dunno, I'm not a parasite expert.

Have you looked around the substrate for any signs of fallen worms or anything?
No worms no nothing! I’m overwhelmed by how many people are taking time out of their day to reply to me. I posted this not expecting any replies. Thank you guys

Lucy said:
Hi welcome to FishLore! Can you post a picture of your betta?
There is a photo attached to my post

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I really can't tell much from the photo, but it looks like it might be fuzzy or have little strings or something on the main white thing? Is that the case?
I'm not sure if it's the angle or body positioning, but it looks like his belly is a bit swollen or distended as well. If that's true, he might indeed have an internal parasite. At this point you might want to start thinking about treating for parasites.

Does the "poop" get longer? Like does it seem like he's pushing it out of his system, like with poop? Or does it stay the same and never leave him? Do you think it's the same thing that's been there this whole time or do you think it might be different, like it left his body and a new one took its place, if that makes sense?

linn

Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
Yeah, I really can't tell much from the photo, but it looks like it might be fuzzy or have little strings or something on the main white thing? Is that the case?
I'm not sure if it's the angle or body positioning, but it looks like his belly is a bit swollen or distended as well. If that's true, he might indeed have an internal parasite. At this point you might want to start thinking about treating for parasites.

Does the "poop" get longer? Like does it seem like he's pushing it out of his system, like with poop? Or does it stay the same and never leave him? Do you think it's the same thing that's been there this whole time or do you think it might be different, like it left his body and a new one took its place, if that makes sense?
It does get bigger. A few days ago On accident I tapped hard on the roof of the tank and scared him, I noticed a small piece of it did fall to the gravel. Also, the middle of it has a small dot of brown color.... I hope I’m making sense agh.
Since I got him back that area always seems to have poop stuck to him. Even when that one time a chunk fell out, he still had it on him

linn

Reaction score
Update, I just got his attention and startled him. This time it was intentionally. I’m sorry I don’t mean to sound cruel I love my fish so much but I just wanted to see what would happen to the poop. Turns out it dropped on the gravel while he was swimming, he has more poop poking out of him. same thing, white with a brown dot in the center. I’m going to upload a pic I just took. this picture is the poop literally seconds before it fell off him and onto the gravel. Like I stated earlier, even though this poop fell, he has more poking out. I feel so helpless I don’t understand what’s going on or how to fix him. What do you think is going on in your opinion??

Attachments

linn

Reaction score
This picture uploaded is how he looks this very second. do you see how quickly the white poop poked back out? I don’t know how much he has inside him I agree with you! His stomach does look a little bloated to me.

Attachments

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So it's small? Is it round?
I'm wondering if what you're seeing is parasite eggs.

linn

Reaction score
CheshireKat said:
So it's small? Is it round?
I'm wondering if what you're seeing is parasite eggs.
They are dark appears to be rounded dots on the center of his poop. He definitely appears to be swollen the more I watch him

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom