Betta Fish - White Patch Identification

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ModerateWinGuy, Apr 25, 2017.

1. ModerateWinGuyNew MemberMember

My betta fish in my tank at work has a little white spot on his side. I can't tell if it is something like ich as it doesn't look fluffy. If anything it looks like a damaged scale.

He has also torn his top fin it appears, although this is my first Betta so if it's anything more than a simple tear (fin for?) Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will notice if.

My water tested fine last week, and I'll bring in my test kit tomorrow to confirm again. (0 ammonia and nitrite, ~25 nitrate)

Sorry if this should be in the Betta section rather than here, I wasn't sure which would make more sense.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Got a beautiful betta there. It doesn't look like fin rot on his upper fin, because it isn't a dark red, like blood. Or brown. Although that would be hard to tell as he is red lol. I wouldn't know for the white part on his body as I haven't dealt with that type of situation before. Also, for his fin, do you have any decor in his tank that has pointy or sharp edges?

3. ModerateWinGuyNew MemberMember

All of the plants in the tank are real and quite soft, although there are a few rocks and driftwood in there that while they aren't extra sharp, could possibly scratch if he got wedged against them by the flow. I'm currently working on toning down the filter's flow a bit more as it could do with being a little slower for him.

4. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

What size tank? What kind of filter? How often are you changing the water?

5. ModerateWinGuyNew MemberMember

The tank is 53L / 14 gal.the filter is a built in filter in the hood with floss, sponge, and noodles.
    Water changes are weekly with 30-40% changed.

6. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

The fin I am not too sure about, but I think the white spots look like ich. Does it look like grains of salt? I can't tell if those are other white dots on the caudal fin or if it is just spots on the glass.

My first recommendation is to up the waterchanges to daily for 4-5 days and see if it helps that fin. It's the best treatment to start with. If it is indeed ich. Raising the temp to 86-88 degrees for 10-14 days will clear it up without the need for meds. Just good vacuuming a couple times a week is required.

Does the filter have an intake tube? You may have to find a way to cover the opening of the intake so that water can still be sucked in, but is a smaller hole so a fin doesn't get sucked in. I have 3 different filters on 3 different tanks, and I have my intake covered in all of them. Only one houses my two bettas. I do it, just in case I end up with babies, plus it's more surface area for bacteria to grow.

7. ModerateWinGuyNew MemberMember

I do have some foam filter intake covers at home somewhere that I'll try and find to see if they fit over the intake on this tank.

8. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

You could use a mesh filter media bag and tie it around it too. I saw someone else do that. It seemed to work well.

9. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

That line of white spots may be the pattern. My red betta has them. And I've had him for 3 months. It isn't a disease. Mainly because the spots haven't moved

10. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Good point. It could just be a color change. Maybe some koi in him?

11. ModerateWinGuyNew MemberMember

An update:
    I did two water changes each week instead of one and the marks got smaller and disappeared over the weekend. :)

12. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Must have been a flesh wound. Make sure there isn't anything sharp in there that he can hurt himself on. What kind of filter do you have?

13. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Sorry, forgot about this one. Try to replace the filter with a sponge filter. Then you don't have to worry about getting rid of decorations

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice